Vertically expanding bounding box for text

Previous topic - Next topic

sidetrail

I've just gotten started with Scribus and after watching some good video tutorials and reading through the manaul, I haven't found an answer to this question.

I'm trying to create a special paragraph style that includes a bounding box that will expand vertically down and over to the next column (by linking text frames) based on how much text is entered. I can do this in OpenOffice, but I'd like to use Scribus to take advantage of the more sophisticated layout options it has.

The attached image shows an example of what I'm trying to do - the text with the faint blue background and the frame around it, specifically. I don't want to have to manually resize a separate text frame to accomplish that, if possible.

Is this possible in Scribus?

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi sidetrail

it is not as easy as with word...
i would set the desired text distances and after inserting the text use the command 'item' → 'adjust' → 'adjust frame height to text'.
this works well in the latest development versions of scribus. but it was buggy until recently.

utnik

sidetrail

Thanks very much for taking the time to get back to me. I wasn't able to make your suggestion work because that option doesn't seem to appear in my version (1.4.8), but I'll try it with the latest dev version. In the mean time, however, I think I've come up with an acceptable workaround by using a line of em dashes before and after the special text section (see attached).

Quote from: utnik on March 31, 2020, 06:13:09 AM
hi sidetrail

it is not as easy as with word...
i would set the desired text distances and after inserting the text use the command 'item' → 'adjust' → 'adjust frame height to text'.
this works well in the latest development versions of scribus. but it was buggy until recently.

utnik

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi sidetrail

you're right, my solution doesn't work with scribus 1.4.8 (afaik you need a recent version of 1.5.6.svn...)
your solution doesn't look bad. but i would extend the lines a little bit to match them with the header and footer lines.

utnik