Text editor text is unreadable

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveC426913

Still assuming I'm doing something wrong.

The text in the text frame text editor is illegible. And it can't be changed - can't be enlarged or set to a different font.

I've installed GhostScript, and relaunched, so it's no longer complaining about that, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

[attachment deleted by admin]

RodneyLee

does text work when not using the Tex Editor?

DaveC426913

Quote from: RodneyLee on January 21, 2020, 03:03:33 PM
does text work when not using the Tex Editor?
It does work yes, so I'm managing that way.

But I'm anticipating possible problems in the future if/when I start applying styles.

(When I first opened Scribus, the first thing I wanted to do was make a text-based title, and used the text frame tool to do it. Trying to size and preview text to fit on the page using the editor tool was so perplexing, I almost gave up on Scribus then and there. So my take-away is: find and solve simple problems early, before you get into complex stuff.)

RodneyLee

you can apply styles in intext frame just as easy

jfl

Have you tried setting another font in "Settings/Display font"? It works for me (Scribus 1.5.5).

jack_cat

Quote from: DaveC426913 on January 21, 2020, 01:35:30 AM
The text in the text frame text editor is illegible. And it can't be changed - can't be enlarged or set to a different font.

That depends which version you are using. In Scribus 1.4.6 the text editor had a fixed display mode. In 1.5.2 it has a
setting within the text editor that allows you to set the display font. (I'm pretty sure that 1.5.5 does this too.)

When you want to get your text frames to look just the way you want to on the page, the text editor is
no good. You can edit directly in the text frame in the main window, and most people say they do this.
You can select any bit of text and press F2 to open the properties window. Although the properties window is
a pretty confused bunch of stuff at first look, there is a section devoted to text properties, and it has all of
the properties that the text editor has, plus I think a few more. You can access all of your paragraph styles and character styles (you can't use character styles in the text editor: in the text editor, it appears, unless I'm wrong - which could be -  you can only apply a different character style within a paragraph by applying the font directly.)

I think that there is also a certain issue in which some formatting codes which are applied from the text editor don't show up when you open the properties window, and maybe vice versa, but I don't have any hard repeatable data on that, I merely observe that sometimes I have to apply a style again that I thought I already applied.