New Template *SOLVED*

Previous topic - Next topic

okrobie

Hello all, thanks for having this forum.  I am a rank newbee and I need some basic help.

I am trying to create a newsletter template. 4 pages on an 11X17 sheet of paper. I want page 1 and 4 to be on one signature and pages 2 and 3 to be on the other. It seems basic enough but I can't seem to get it. The sample newsletter templates separate pages 1 and 4 into separate pages. The end product will go to a 2 page PDF.  I hope my description is clear.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Nermander

What you are looking for is called imposition, and is not a task Scribus can do. Create a simple 4-page document in Scribus, export to PDF and use and external tool to create the imposition.

You can search the forum, the wiki or the mailing list archives, there are a lot of old discussions on the topic.

utnik

hello okrobie

for a simple four page imposition you can use the booklet printing funktion in adobe reader.

utnik

Wena

I would be working on an A4 (but any size will do) landscape paper.

On the left side will be the first frame page 1.
On the right side it will be the back, page 4
For page 2 it will be at the back of page 1
And page 3 will be at the back of page 4.

To understand get a peace of landscape paper number it on the one side as I have suggested above. You will then get the idea.

When printing you print out the pages 1 and 4
Then you turn the sheet over and page 2 will go on the back of page 1. Just like a book.

I hope that help's

Wena

okrobie

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Somehow I'm not sure I have made my explanation clear. 

What I am looking for is what I see if I go to Scribus and click File>New from Template>Newsletters>Newsletter_1.  I see pages 1 and 4 as stand alones and pages 2 and 3 fused together as one 11X17 page. What I want is for pages 4 and 1 also to be fused together as one 11X17 page. I hope you will excuse my ignorance if I am asking for the wrong thing :)

Thanks very much.

utnik

what you see in the newsletter template is the standard view of a doublesided document with four pages.
if you print it (usually from the generated pdf) you will have four separate pages. if you print it as a booklet (out of adobe reader) you get one side as 'page four / page one' and the other one as 'page two / page three' – if this is not what you're searching for, explain it again...

utnik

okrobie

Thanks utnik, I think it is finally sinking in. Thanks for your patience. Now I have exported the newsletter as a PDF and opened it in Adobe Reader 9 but the pages are in the wrong sequence. How do I get them laid out correctly for printing?  (4+1 and 2+3)

Thanks

EDIT: OK utnik, I found the Booklet Printing Function Thanks

But now I want to save the booklet layout for the copy center that will be printing it. Or should I just send it as is and let the copy center use the Booklet Printing Function on their Adobe Reader?

I think I'm trying to complicate something that is simple :)

utnik

hi okrobie

i'm not sure, if your copy center will do this imposition for you – ask them! if you have to do it, try 'jpdftweak'. it's an opensource, java based pdf handler.
you can download it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdftweak/.

utnik

okrobie

Hi utnik, thanks again you are great!!!  I tried the jPDFtweak and it does the job.
I would have asked the copy center, but they are closed for the weekend and I thought you might know what the norms are  :)

Once again, THANKS!!!

utnik

Quote from: okrobie on January 08, 2012, 10:26:47 PM...I thought you might know what the norms are...
i know nothing – but this for sure...