How to make vertical alignment by "Numbered List" ?

Previous topic - Next topic

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: utnik on January 12, 2020, 06:33:03 PM
hi yichuang

this lefthand tab is exactly where i define the gap between numbers and text.

utnik

Wow, I know why I can't do it your way. Because of font.
My font is Chinese font, Noto Serif CJK SC, from google. I tried another Chinese font, the same result as goole fonts.
In your way, English font is OK.

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: jfl on January 12, 2020, 10:00:43 PM
Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 12, 2020, 03:13:38 PM
But, my problem is that, I can not make a good "vertical alignment".
I have to adjust the value of "first line indent" countless times, and, the final value won't be a Integer, like yours, 4mm.
My result would be a value like 4.2mm or 3.9mm etc.
Here's how you do it:
-- The values of  "Left Tab" and  "Left Indent" must be the same (use the "position" input field).
-- Then you must add a tab char (obviously) between the number and the text.

That's it. Cheers
Edit: attaching a screenshot so you can see the tab chars

From your detailed guidance, I think I found the reason: font.

English font:
-- If I choose English font, like Liberation Sans, the result will be exactly the same as you described. It's OK.
Chinese font:
-- If I choose Chinese font, like Noto Serif CJK SC, the result will be another(4&5&6 in screenshot).
-- If I choose Chinese font, like Noto Serif CJK SC, and, modify the "First Line Indent" from -4mm to -6mm, the result will be OK again(1&2&3 in screenshot).
Before the text, all the input were like this: first the number, second the dot, and then a tab stop.

I do not test -5mm or -4.5mm or -4.1mm etc("First Line Indent"), but I think that one Chinese character needs two bytes, not like English, one English letter needs only one byte.
The -4mm of "First Line Indent" can hold one number and one dot and one tab stop in English fonts. But, in Chinese fonts, -4mm of "First Line Indent" can hold only one number and one dot, not another tab stop. If I insert one number and one dot and one tab stop before the text, the result will be like screenshot 4&5&6.

Is that a bug? Maybe not I think. Because what we did is not a real lists function.

BTW,
All of your examples are -4mm("First Line Indent"), Is it a coincidence?

[attachment deleted by admin]

jfl

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 13, 2020, 09:49:08 AM
All of your examples are -4mm("First Line Indent"), Is it a coincidence?
I'm not sure why it's significant, but yeah, I guess so.

utnik

hi yichuang

could you provide an example (.sla file with the font)?
as i don't really understand, what's going wrong, i would like to play with it...

utnik

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: utnik on January 13, 2020, 12:26:40 PM
hi yichuang

could you provide an example (.sla file with the font)?
as i don't really understand, what's going wrong, i would like to play with it...

utnik

Here is the link(with fonts):
https://send.firefox.com/download/0e0cce36c1c97f7c/#ezX6YEx18_ICH297fUUOhQ

jfl

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 15, 2020, 12:18:49 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't have any problem adapting your styles. See attachments (screenshot plus modified SLA file).

Cheers,
JFL

utnik

hi yichuang

i took a look at your file. as 'jfl' already said,  there's no problem with the font or the styles. but if your indent (and lefthand tabulator) doesn't provide the space for your numbers, the text will begin at the next standard tab stop (which is every 1/2" or 12.7mm by default...)

utnik

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: jfl on January 15, 2020, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 15, 2020, 12:18:49 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't have any problem adapting your styles. See attachments (screenshot plus modified SLA file).

Cheers,
JFL

Wow!

I downloaded the .sla file you uploaded and open it in my system, it's OK as your screenshot. Why?
I opened my original file, it's still NG, like the screenshot 115.png.

My scribus version is an appimage, version 1.5.5, the same as yours. And, 20190731, svn version:23095; Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit, Ghostscript version:9.26.

And yours?

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: utnik on January 15, 2020, 02:10:08 PM
hi yichuang

i took a look at your file. as 'jfl' already said,  there's no problem with the font or the styles. but if your indent (and lefthand tabulator) doesn't provide the space for your numbers, the text will begin at the next standard tab stop (which is every 1/2" or 12.7mm by default...)

utnik

Very strange~
Linux and 1.5.5 svn?

ps:
I tested the original file with 1.5.6 svn, and another test in a virtual machine(debian/stretch 9.11/xfce4) that has never run scribus before, the results are all NG~

utnik

hi yichuang

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 15, 2020, 02:20:12 PMVery strange~
Linux and 1.5.5 svn?

my first test was with macOS and scribus 1.5.6.svn.
but now i did the same with lubuntu and 1.5.5 and everything works as expected.

utnik

jfl

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 15, 2020, 02:20:12 PM
Very strange~

There's nothing strange. As I said above I adapted your styles, which means the values you had entered were wrong. Compare my version and yours and you'll notice different values.

As far a I can see everything works fine on Scribus' side. The problem is on your side ;) But don't take it personally!

Cheers,
JFL

yichuang驿窗

I installed a new virtual machine, ubuntu 18.04, and in this vm I opened my file with scribus 1.5.5svn & 1.5.6svn, the results are all still NG.

For the time being, I want to put this problem aside for a while and then test it later using other people's computers.

If there are new discoveries, I will explain here again.

jfl

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 18, 2020, 02:48:42 AM
I installed a new virtual machine, ubuntu 18.04, and in this vm I opened my file with scribus 1.5.5svn & 1.5.6svn, the results are all still NG.
Why are you wasting your time on virtual machines? Have you read my post above? Your styles were wrong. I fixed them and now all is fine.

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: jfl on January 18, 2020, 06:51:42 AM
I fixed them and now all is fine.

You modified the "First Line Indent" form 4mm to 6mm, and "Left Indent" form 14mm to 20mm.
Yes, with these values, the styles can work fine.

utnik

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 24, 2020, 05:34:42 AMYou modified the "First Line Indent" form 4mm to 6mm, and "Left Indent" form 14mm to 20mm.
Yes, with these values, the styles can work fine.

...and that's the solution!
you can't put a 5mm wide text (number and point) into a 4 mm wide space...

utnik