How to make vertical alignment by "Numbered List" ?

Previous topic - Next topic

yichuang驿窗

Hi,

What I want is the right side of "003.png", but I can only get the left side of "003.png".

What shall I do?

[attachment deleted by admin]

yichuang驿窗

My Scribus version:
1.5.5  2019-07-31 - SVN :23095
Build ID: C--T-F-C1.15.10-64bit
Ghostscript: 9.26

Debian Stretch 9.11 / gnome

a.l.e

hi yichuang

i gave it a try but could not really get it to work to satisfaction.

lists are not stable yet and, in my eyes, if you can't get them to work correctly, you should go for "manual" lists (creating a style with the wanted indents and type the bullets and numbers yourself).

if you're not importing your text from a writer document that has automatic lists, this should be good enough.

there might be a way to get it to work, but it might not trivial...

ciao
a.l.e

yichuang驿窗

OK, I got it~

The most import thing to me is that, it's not because of my technical level, but the functional reason of scribus itself. Now I know how to explain this to others.

I will try to make "manual" list, and, I will also try to improt a list from libreoffice writer file. The function of lists in scribus are very useful I think, so, I will try to find another way to make it work better.

Thanks for you testing work~

RodneyLee

if there aren't too many of these to do you could always do a second text box for the sublist, just leave enough space in primary list to drop text box inbetween

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: RodneyLee on January 03, 2020, 03:24:09 PM
if there aren't too many of these to do you could always do a second text box for the sublist, just leave enough space in primary list to drop text box inbetween

Yes, this method looks the most intuitive and easy to understand.
I will test it later to see if the implementation is easy enough.

a.l.e

hi yichuang

please, do not suggest the method with two frames in a manual.

thanks.
a.l.e

p.s.: more broadly, do not promote the usage of "automatic" lists in scribus yet. they're not a stable feature.

utnik

Quote from: a.l.e on January 04, 2020, 10:29:22 AM
hi yichuang

...and using paragraph styles (as ale mentioned before) is much easier.
i would put a left tab with the same value as your indent setting. (see attachment / the insert shows the values for the second level...)
with this setting you need to insert your bullet (or number) and the tab stop at the beginning of every entry of your list –with 'copy & paste' much faster as to deal with multiple frames (and repositioning those frames with every step of text editing...)

utnik

jfl

Is this what you want to achieve? (see attached screenshot). If yes, the trick is to add a left tab (see circled area on the screenshot). It's not easy to set (and to see) because it must be at the exact same position as the left indent. You can then use the numbered lists no problem. They are working fine for me in 1.5.5. No copy/paste needed.

Cheers,
JFL

Nermander

If the is the issue, that is a common problem even in MS Word. In older versions of Word there was an "automatic" tab stop at the same place as the indent, but in newer versions you have to explicitly add it.

yichuang驿窗

hi yichuang

thanks.
a.l.e

p.s.: more broadly, do not promote the usage of "automatic" lists in scribus yet. they're not a stable feature.

OK.

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: utnik on January 04, 2020, 12:28:32 PM
hi yichuang

...and using paragraph styles (as ale mentioned before) is much easier.
i would put a left tab with the same value as your indent setting. (see attachment / the insert shows the values for the second level...)
with this setting you need to insert your bullet (or number) and the tab stop at the beginning of every entry of your list –with 'copy & paste' much faster as to deal with multiple frames (and repositioning those frames with every step of text editing...)

utnik

According to your method, I can do part of it.
My problem is, I can not make a good gap between the list number and the text. The gap is too small(gapSmall.png).
And, I can't understand what the"Left Position 7mm(14mm)" function does(function.png).

yichuang驿窗

Quote from: jfl on January 09, 2020, 10:31:08 AM
Is this what you want to achieve? (see attached screenshot). If yes, the trick is to add a left tab (see circled area on the screenshot). It's not easy to set (and to see) because it must be at the exact same position as the left indent. You can then use the numbered lists no problem. They are working fine for me in 1.5.5. No copy/paste needed.

Cheers,
JFL

Yes, the screenshot you uploaded is what I want.
But, my problem is that, I can not make a good "vertical alignment".
I have to adjust the value of "first line indent" countless times, and, the final value won't be a Integer, like yours, 4mm.
My result would be a value like 4.2mm or 3.9mm etc.

I had triey to import odt file made by LibreOffice Writer, but in Scribus, there is only text, with styles and lists lost.

utnik

hi yichuang

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 12, 2020, 02:50:02 PM
...I can not make a good gap between the list number and the text. The gap is too small...

...And, I can't understand what the"Left Position 7mm(14mm)" function does(function.png).

this lefthand tab is exactly where i define the gap between numbers and text.

utnik

jfl

Quote from: yichuang驿窗 on January 12, 2020, 03:13:38 PM
But, my problem is that, I can not make a good "vertical alignment".
I have to adjust the value of "first line indent" countless times, and, the final value won't be a Integer, like yours, 4mm.
My result would be a value like 4.2mm or 3.9mm etc.
Here's how you do it:
-- The values of  "Left Tab" and  "Left Indent" must be the same (use the "position" input field).
-- Then you must add a tab char (obviously) between the number and the text.

That's it. Cheers
Edit: attaching a screenshot so you can see the tab chars