Scribus Has Reverted to Older Saved SLA Version

Previous topic - Next topic

dswaugh

At a complete loss to explain what happened with Scribus this morning. I had two auto-saved SLA files in a folder that somehow completely vanished, and when I went to open the main file that I've been working on for the past two weeks, it was an older incarnation of that file from several weeks ago. What's happened??? I have been saving the file as I go, and I didn't bother backing it up because Scribus had saved at least two recent auto-saved versions of the same file that appeared next to my good file in the folder. But this morning, like I said, the auto-saves are gone, and my "good" file suddenly is a version I had created weeks ago, and not any of the versions I've been saving since then. Q: Is this a known bug in the unstable version of 1.5.6 svn? If so, anyone know of something I can do to recover all of the vanished newer versions of my file?

The file is a family newsletter of about 16 pages, and it contains several black and white photos and a great deal of text throughout. Not too large of a file to present a problem. Thoughts?

a.l.e

i don't think that scribus will have present you with an older version of your document.

without being able to see your files, it's hard to say what exactly did happen, but i tend to thing ok:

- you opened a document in a back up folder.
- you have a back up system on your computer and you/it has restored the file to a past snapshot.

... but, as said, hard to say what has happened...

dswaugh

Hi, a.l.e. Thanks for responding.

Had the same thing happen to a different file this morning. Saved it last night before going to bed, and when I came back and opened it this morning, it had reverted back to an older version of the file. Through trial and error, I've determined that the culprit might be one of the following: 1) broken dependency files in the Scribus package (libnvidia-ifr1-390, libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386, and nvidia-driver-390) that are tied to my use of a proprietary Nvidia driver, 2) something with the nightly build (currently using 1.5.6) that requires me to re-install the software or upgrade to the most recent version of Ubuntu (currently using 18.04), or 3) a bug in 1.5.6 that's related to saving large, text-dense blocks where I've used non open-source fonts, reduced the font sizes to 11pt, and used manual line spacing to fit more text on the page. Guess I should also mention that my file is also graphics-intensive. Numerous black and white photos and graphics that have alpha channels. Am wondering if my file size might be too large.

Would love to attach a file, but the problem is that none of the new lost files in question saved. I keep getting left with older versions that Scribus keeps reverting back to.

I tried re-installing the daily build, but I keep getting an error-message about the broken packages on my system mentioned before. Next, wondering if I should just do a clean install of Ubuntu.

In the meantime, I'm trying to piece together a new file using 1.4.8. Here's hoping that the stable version of Scribus will save the file. Will let you know.

Again, thanks much for getting back to me. Be blessed today.

a.l.e

are you saving your files only once a day?

in that case, yes, i think that it's at least theoretically possible that scribus fails to save your file and you don't get any feedback.

just try to open your file file, make a  small change, close the file, reopen it and see if the change is still there.
if the change is reverted, than for some reason, scribus does not save your documents. (or some of your documents)

if the change is still there, there is no reason why the it should be reset after some wealthy sleep.

RodneyLee

I noticed that hitting the save Icon doesn't always seem to save the file, when I go to close Scribus it will ask again at which time I save again.

I am guessing that you're shutting down the computer while Scribus is still open and you used the Save Icon