YouTube tutorials (in french) : Add a picture

Previous topic - Next topic

Doceo Tuto

I hope I'm in the right place (seen many questions here : This is not a place to ask questions. Post tips, tutorials and how-to documents here.)

So I've recently discovered Scribus and have to use it for a group project. Indesign was not an option.
And i've seen that many people, non-techies, were struggle using it.

I'm thinking creating tutorials for beginners is a great idea.

There is a playlist (in french) : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrn6wYF2UT5-Uw9hIWlVlIbj0PwQtoDb3
And here the first tutorial inserting a picture (in french) : https://youtu.be/qaVihv6IE8I

a.l.e

bienvenue Doceo Tuto

it's fine to add links to tutorials in here!

if you want, i can give you a few hints how to improve your tutorial and how to make even better tutorials in the future : - )

ciao
a.l.e

Doceo Tuto

Quoteif you want, i can give you a few hints how to improve your tutorial and how to make even better tutorials in the future : - )
Sure

a.l.e

i like the format of your very short tutorials!

i only watched at the videos without the sound and this is my feedback.
lot of feedback : - )

generally:

- it's scribus 1.5.5, not 15.5
- hide all the toolbars but the "tools" one. put the tools toolbar on the left side of the scribus window
- make sure that the content you're showing is nice!
- most of the time, have the properties palette (and/or the content palette) docked to the right of the window (or the left, if you prefer)

scribus looks much better this way:

i make a list of things i noticed while looking at your videos. there are reasons for each of them, but -- to keep it short -- i do not explain them... for each of them feel free not to follow my hints or to ask for explanations if somethings looks bizarre.

images tutorial:

- do not use the context menu for loading the image. there are better ways to do it:
  - the file menu (the standard place)
  - ctrl-i (the fast way)
  - double click on the empty image frame (also fast)
  - drag and drop from a file manager or an image viewer
- do not use copyrighted / trademarked images and logos in your tutorials (only use images that are cc-by; mention the sources.)
- use an image that has a big enough resolution for the size of the frame (avoid the dpi warning in the lower right corner of the frame)
- trigger the "adjust frame" to image after showing it
- add a quick introduction to the free scale / scale to frame in the image tab of the properties palette (content palette in 1.5.6svn)

preview tutorial:

- use the menus and ctrl-alt-p, not the toolbar (the goal is to have the button back in the status bar at some time...)

paragraph styles:

- do not use blue text
- put nice formatted text: the first frame is ok, but it should not be bold, blue and right aligned. and it should not overflow.
- dock the text palette to the right
- do not apply the centered text to the default paragraph style: only show formatting that looks good!
- if you show the paragraph effects, apply at least one of them (and warn the user that they are experimental)
- in the character style, don't apply bold to a long text; if you increase the font height, also increase the line spacing.
- red on 10% cyan is a terrible choice. on green it's even worse
- if you show the font features, you should explain what they are for.

master pages

- do not put random text frames with random sizes on the page. and no text outside of the margins : - )
- do not put "title" on the MP. the user cannot change it.
- in the header, do not write "en-tête", but a real header (something like "introduction"): again, it's not editable and we should say this from minute 1...
- do not apply the MP from the context menu but from the page menu

voilà, i hope that the remarks will help you create even better tutorials in the future!

ciao
a.l.e

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doceo Tuto

I'm making very fast and short tutorial because of this : https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/98bb0h/youtube_tutorials_nowadays/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
And i cannot more agree. I was so frustrated by people taking to much time explaning or going to deep about a simple problem. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle)

Why 15.5 ? because I don't want to make my tutorials become obsolete to fast. When 15.5.6 will get out (unless some feature breaker will make it obsolete)
I'm not using key combo because you cannot see what i'm doing on the screen, unless you are listening what i'm saying (english people could be interested)

Quote- trigger the "adjust frame" to image after showing it
- add a quick introduction to the free scale / scale to frame in the image tab of the properties palette (content palette in 1.5.6svn)
Yep, this part should have be better. I agree with you on that two

I have read everything you have read.
Thanks for taking your time to watch and write down

a.l.e

hi

nö, it's not 15.5 nor 15.5.6 : - )

if you want to make it more general, do it for 1.5...

and, i liked the reddit link!
... i guess i should take the time to create an intro for my small screencasts, too : - )

concerning the key shortcuts: there are programs that show the key your typing...
(personally, when i show an action, i do it with the menus first, then the second time with a shortcut (if one exists))

the idea behind using the main menus instead of the context menus, is that the users can find in there everything that scribus provides. it's a good idea to teach them to look for things in there.

ciao
a.l.e