User Interface - Enlarge Work Area

Previous topic - Next topic

scriber

Hi all!

In this image you find a scribus window (that black background is dwm window manager I'm using on linux). I removed all toolbars to make my question a bit more clear:

https://pasteboard.co/IID1SgS.jpg

Is there a way to "remove" (or shrink) those grey vertical bars to increase the central space for our working area (document + "notes")?

I usually put my tools on the left vertical bar and on one other at the top. On the right I'd like to set all free space to the document window, but I can't find any way to remove that side empty band on the right.
Can you suggest any solution?
Thank a lot in advance!  :)

PS:
Scribus 1.5.4
QT  5.9.6
Linux Slackware 14.2

RodneyLee

Does Zoom - Fit to width do what you need

scriber

Yes! It did the trick!
I put various toolbars on the right band. The left one was empty. Then:

1) zoom - fit to width --> left band was still in place empty

2) then moving toolbars from the right to the left did the trick: right band disapered.

Now, after closing and reopening Scribus, I'm trying to reproduce the sequence but it doesn't seem to work anymore: grey bands rest on the sides. Maybe I'm using an empty new document just to try...

scriber

Ok, I understood this strange behavior:

- If you open scribus

- remove all toolbars (proprieties, text propieties, layers, dispose and so on)

- The side empty grey bands rest in place, as in my attached image (look at first post)

- note: no document is opened yet, we are just in front of the nude interface

But if you:

- close and reopen scribus. We have the same interface with the side grey bars

- now add a toolbar, proprieties bar for istance, to the left or to the right side band, we'll have an empty band and the properties bar on the other

- now we can go with mouse cursor on the internal border of the added properties bar, click and drag the border.

- whether you try to enlarge proprieties bar or you shrink it, in any case, sudently the opposite side band, the one empty disappears!

- and now, finally, if you remove proprieties tab, no grey side bar rest in place empty: all central workspace result enlarged to the max width of your window/screen

-

a.l.e

i have a bit of a hard time understanding what you are trying to do and why.

probably, i have a similar setup as you have and this is what i'm doing:

- remove all toolbars but the tool one. i dock it to the left side.
- dock the properties palette to the right side.
- dock the text (or content) palette to the right side (i'm not sure if 1.5.4 already has one of both)
- use F2 to show and hide the properties palette when i need it.
- use F3 to show and hide the text / content palette when i need it.
- put scribus in the main area and make the main area fill ~3/4 of the width... or (rarely) use it full screen.

what i normally do not do:

- set the documents as floating (there are some edge cases when it can be better... but in most cases i avoid it).
- use scribus in floating mode (why are you leaving two black stripes on both side and then try to optimize the space by hiding the palettes and toolbars?)

i attached a gif with what it looks like here...

hope it can help you...

[attachment deleted by admin]

scriber

This is my Scribus window at start up:
https://pasteboard.co/IIFF2K5.jpg

As you can see on the left I have my toolbars.
What I don't want is the right grey band, it is empty and it is taking up too useful space.
I want to remove it, and I'd like if it doesn't appear at next Scribus start up.

a.l.e

the empty stripe on the right is for sure wrong.
you can try to put things in there and remove again, and see if this fixes things.

i'm not aware of a clean way to reset such misbehavior, so you're left at tweaking the scribus configuration file or more simply get scribus to re-build the configuration  by renaming (or deleting) ~/.config/scribus ...

scriber

Ok, just to clear one of my yesterday post:
Quotewhether you try to enlarge proprieties bar or you shrink it, in any case, suddenly the opposite side band, the one empty disappears!

So when I click on the left bar border, and try to drag (as in enlarge or shrink it), the right empty bar disappears. It seems a sort of bug... But could be related to some other software of my system which Scribus is based on...

I'll try to start it with a clean config, even if I wouldn't miss my current profile tuning.

PS.
Anyway I'd like to upgrade to 1.5.5, but it seems to requires some libs version newer then the ones my system provides. For instance build process fails due to the lack of libpoppler > 0.xy (my current system run poppler-0.44, and seems too old for scribus 1.5.5 build)

a.l.e

yes, compiling the current development code requires a somehow up to date system.

currently, debian stable should be good enough.

on the ubuntu side, 18.04 is too old. 18.10 is in an unknown state.
19.04 and 19.10 do work.

scriber

I'm on slackware-14.2, the "stable" branch of that distro. It is a bit out of date at now.
Maybe it is possible to install a recent version of  libpoppler along the old one, in a separeted path like /opt or /usr/local, so that all other system software works as usual and at the same time, tell to scribus build procedure to use the new one (configure could have some option to indicate libpoppler path... I don't know...)