Installation of Scribus 1.5.5

Previous topic - Next topic

ajoeiam

Greetings

An interesting looking program and if it allows me to do some things that I would like to do with pdfs it might become a primary usage tool.

At present I'm running into some installation headaches.
I'm running a Debian bullseye (11 or testing) system as updated as apt will let me go.

First install attempt was using the debian buster packages for 1.4.8.
There were a bunch of dependencies that I needed to pull in and that's not 'fun' but was doable.
Opened scribus and then asked it to open one of my recently downloaded pdfs. Scribus promptly informed me that that just wasn't possible.
After the 3rd file being tried, these are all files likely developed on M$ systems and related products, Scribus borked and ran away (grin!).

So I went to the repository linked from the homepage and downloaded the .gz file.
I'm not very comfortable using cmake so I wasn't sure how this was going to go. Searching for ideas really didn't help as the pages I found we more about the dev team side of using cmake.

When I tried using # cmake /scribus I got this:
# cmake /scribus-1.5.5/
-- Shared Library Flags:
-- Scribus 1.5.5 will be built and installed into /usr/local
-- Machine: x86_64-linux-gnu, void pointer size: 8
-- Found target X86_64
-- Building for target x86_64-linux-gnu
-- Using standard ApplicationDataDir. You can change it with -DAPPLICATION_DATA_DIR
-- Using standard ApplicationConfigDir. You can change it with -DAPPLICATION_CONFIG_DIR
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:707 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindQt5Core.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Core", but
  CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Core"
  (requested version 5.7.0) with any of the following names:

Qt5CoreConfig.cmake
    qt5core-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Core" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "Qt5Core_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "Qt5Core" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
  been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "//CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

The error messages don't give me any ideas as to what's missing or what to do.

Suggestions - - - please?

TIA

Nermander

Quote from: ajoeiam on November 23, 2019, 05:56:57 PM
An interesting looking program and if it allows me to do some things that I would like to do with pdfs it might become a primary usage tool.

Scribus is not a PDF editor. Scribus is a page layout/desktop publishing program. It can generate PDF as output and has options to import PDF contents (for example ads), but it is not made to edit PDFs.

ajoeiam

Quote from: Nermander on November 23, 2019, 09:41:46 PM

Scribus is not a PDF editor. Scribus is a page layout/desktop publishing program. It can generate PDF as output and has options to import PDF contents (for example ads), but it is not made to edit PDFs.

Thanks - - - - that wasn't the question I was asking - - - there are other reasons as well that have me looking at scribus but if I cannot affect an install anything further is moot.

mnawij

Hi ajoeiam,

Have you looked into using flatpak, appimage, or even snap packages? I personally use flatpak with Debian 10 and Linux Mint.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.scribus.Scribus

Cheers!

mnawij

ajoeiam

Quote from: mnawij on November 24, 2019, 03:43:59 AM
Hi ajoeiam,

Have you looked into using flatpak, appimage, or even snap packages? I personally use flatpak with Debian 10 and Linux Mint.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.scribus.Scribus

Cheers!

mnawij

I have downloaded the appimage package and it seems to be working.
I tried snaps a while back and want absolutely nothing to do with canonical's forced constant update/upgrade routine.
Its a long and ugly story but I will say that the snap environment just isn't going to happen here!

Haven't tried flatpak yet - - - -just that gun shy after my snapd fiasco.

So - - -  the suggestion is that if appimage isn't it then there is nothing - - - yes?

Nermander

Quote from: ajoeiam on November 23, 2019, 11:08:16 PM
Quote from: Nermander on November 23, 2019, 09:41:46 PM
if it allows me to do some things that I would like to do with pdfs
Scribus is not a PDF editor.
Thanks - - - - that wasn't the question I was asking - -

I just wanted to clarify what seems to be a common misconception about Scribus, it would not be the first time someone would have wanted to use it to edit PDFs.

If you are running Debian, it is usually best to install from the repository:
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian

By installing scribus-ng you will get 1.5.5.

a.l.e

hi ajoeiam

so, yes, in your case using an appimage is probably the best choice.

if you're ready to install ubuntu (in a virtual environment) there is also a PPA.

i personally prefer appimages to flatpaks, but a flatpak is not a bad idea either.

and compiling scribus is of course an option... not the simplest one but the best : - )
i have a compilation how-to that should be rather easy to follow if you can use the terminal.
but i need to test it again on a clean debian, since there were a few important changes.

finally, concerning what what nermander wrote (not the pdf part, where i completely agree with him):
i'm not aware of a way to add scribus-ng to debian... except for experimental...
so, i don't consider it as available for the masses...

ajoeiam

Thank you for the information.

I looked to see if I could find a marked for 'problem solved' but could not.

Thanks for the assistance.