Can't embed text

Previous topic - Next topic

manmath

I want to generate a newsletter in pdf format. But whenever I export it rasterizes all the text resulting in heavy, almost 100mb file size. I'm using Scribus 1.4.8 on Debian Buster.
Thanks in advance.

a.l.e

hi manmath

do you create the pdf with "file > export > pdf"?

is the text in text frames?

... scribus should never rasterize "normal" text but, depending on the font, it might outline it...
(you can check in the "file > preferences > fonts" if the specific font is outlined or embedded)

ciao
a.l.e

manmath

Yeah, I've used two fonts. Both show outlined.

a.l.e

if you have lot of text and the text is getting outlined, then the pdf will be big.

you can switch to a font that can be embedded by scribus 1.4 or switch to 1.5.x for the pdf creation (but if you have lot of text, there is a risk that the text layout will change slightly, since the newer 1.5.x versions have a complete new text engine; just be careful that 1.4 cannot open files that have been saved with 1.5!).

manmath

Thanks for such prompt response. I feel at home. Please suggest me:
1. How to know which fonts can be embedded in scribus, and
2. How can I install Scribus 1.5 on Debian Buster (I could not find that on the debian repo, the latest there is 1.4.8 that I've installed).

a.l.e

in scribus 1.4 most TTF fonts can be embedded, OTF cannot.

some fonts forbid the embedding, but if you're using fonts installed by debian then they won't limit it.

on debian buster you can compile 1.5 yourself or get the appimage (you can choose between daily builds or the release one).
the appimage will be "bigger" than a "native" build but might work for you.

there are also PPAs for ubuntu that should be installable on debian, but i've never tried.

manmath

Thanks for the suggestions. But it's surprising not all fonts are not being embedded.
Some success! I just played around with various TTF font combinations and found that Liberation and Bitstream Vera fonts are being embedded.

mnawij

a.l.e

hi

i don't think that flatpak will be of much help...

the main issue is that more and more quality fonts come as OTF fonts and scribus 1.4 only supports TTF fonts.
the next version 1.6 will have a good support of OTF fonts (and the development version 1.5 already has it...)

ciao
a.l.e