Snapping off yet fine control not possible

Previous topic - Next topic

inkuser

I have all snapping turned off in my document, yet when I try to position items, they seem to be snapping to something.

Snap to Grid, Snap to Guides are both OFF.

Shouldn't I have near-infinite variability in my positioning of items?

Thank you

a.l.e

well, no, not infinite... but yes, scribus should not snap if not snapping is enabled.

can you share a .sla where you see this happening?

a.l.e

so, this seems to be related to the TWO (!!!!!!1000100111!) other threads today about the precision of the pt measurement unit.

the solution is simple:

- don't use pt for page layout.
- and use one of the aligning "tools" to align things, do not zoom in to death and move them around with the mouse.

Nermander

I assume that the mouse pointer can not be moved in a higher resolution than one screen pixel.

So if you zoom in maybe you get more fine grained control?

It may also be an issue of rounding between your used units and the internal units of Scribus.

inkuser

Quote from: a.l.e on October 10, 2019, 10:12:10 AM
the solution is simple:

- don't use pt for page layout.
- and use one of the aligning "tools" to align things, do not zoom in to death and move them around with the mouse.

With respect, this sounds like a bandaid or a workaround. The purpose of snap to is to aid the User by snapping to guides, objects, thereby making alignment easy without resorting tedious and granular measures.

And to say "don't use pt for page layout" is akin to saying, "don't use knots to measure airspeed."

a.l.e

dear inkuser,

if you have read the other thread (where you also commented earlier today), you should now know that if you want to nicely align things, scribus provides a few helpful tools.
and if you really want to do it with the mouse you simply have to (temporary) switch to a different unit.

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: and to say "don't use pt for page layout" is akin to saying "don't use knots to measure spaceships speed".
sorry, i could not resist.

inkuser

Quote from: a.l.e on October 10, 2019, 08:30:47 PM

p.s.: and to say "don't use pt for page layout" is akin to saying "don't use knots to measure spaceships speed".
sorry, i could not resist.

:)

For the curious...

The speed of the Space Shuttle is 15207.084 knots.

a.l.e

Q.E.D.

or, as my mother used to say:

ME: it hurts when i do this...
MUM: don't do that.