PDF Not Printing

Previous topic - Next topic

HikinMike

Quote from: RodneyLee on August 27, 2019, 04:29:15 AM
when this happened to me we found it to be the other computer that was the issue not Scribus, in that case, send them a .jpg

I may have to do that.

HikinMike

Quote from: mnawij on August 27, 2019, 04:35:49 AM
See the attached screenshot, there are two permissions that are denied, it might be that the usb drive application might be trying to use either one of these options and not being allowed to. I know my digital press software has issues with this... I would recommend turning off the encryption option under the security tab in Scribus, so that these options will be cleared and give it another try.  Just a suggestion, not sure if it would fix it, but it is better to eliminate possible causes and keep working down until the problem found.

Cheers!

mnawij

Where are you seeing this?

mnawij

File -> Properties -> Security under Adobe Acrobat Pro.

mnawij

HikinMike

Quote from: mnawij on August 27, 2019, 05:20:07 AM
File -> Properties -> Security under Adobe Acrobat Pro.

mnawij

Got it, thanks.

a.l.e

concerning the christmas tips:

sorry, i opened the wrong file... one was a date like filename starting with 08-, the other one with 2019-... both from this forum...

btw,

"""
The Holy Spirit so superintended the human authors that, through their individual personalities and different styles of writing, they composed and recorded God's Word to man (2 Peter 1:20-21) without error in the whole or in the part (Matthew 5:18; 2 Timothy 3:16).
"""

it's a pity that the holy spirit stopped there and did not superintend the creation of PDF files...

@mnawij, do you see those rights restrictions in every pdf created by scribus (1.5 or 1.4)?

i cannot see the security settins in evince or pdfinfo, but if the settings are not "correct", i think that we can ask for a fix...

mnawij

@a.l.e. Yes, I actually tested three different pdf files created from Scribus today and all had those two options checked... I am using Scribus 1.5.4 on the newest Mac OSX.  If anyone would like to send me pdf files to double check and post screenshots I will do that.

Cheers!

mnawij

a.l.e

i've checked with jean and

a/ the two options "document assembly" and "page extraction" can only be "set" if the pdf document is encrypted (acrobat reader should probably not show them for non encrypted documents).

b/ pdfs created with adobe indesign show the same behavior.

the problem should be elsewhere...

HikinMike

Just an update. I talked to the tech that repairs the copy machines (not the Konica Minolta service tech) and he wasn't much help. He suggested re-installing the software. It was pointless for me to do so as I tried both V1.4.8 AND V1.5.5 and neither worked.

We were able to print the Scribus file as a JPG. So if I continue to use Scribus, I'll have to save it as a JPG instead of a PDF or have somebody "Print as PDF" in Windows.

Thanks for helping!

a.l.e

getting the advice to reinstall a (for her) unknown software is an advice that is basically zero worth.

(did you turn it off and on again, anyone?)

(spoiler: no, there is almost no problem that can be solved by reinstalling scribus)

what i can suggest you:

at this point, all you can do is to check how the person is printing your file.

the "correct" way would be:

- copy the pdf to the hard disk
- open the file with Adobe Reader
- File > Print
- Make sure that the file is printed at 100%
- press Ok

(i don't have adobe reader around so i cannot check the steps... but they should be that way)

HikinMike

Quote from: a.l.e on September 02, 2019, 04:43:53 PM
what i can suggest you:

at this point, all you can do is to check how the person is printing your file.

the "correct" way would be:

- copy the pdf to the hard disk
- open the file with Adobe Reader
- File > Print
- Make sure that the file is printed at 100%
- press Ok

(i don't have adobe reader around so i cannot check the steps... but they should be that way)

They use a thumb drive ONLY to print. The issue is not the person making copies. It seems to be the way Scribus exports a PDF or for some reason the printer doesn't like a PDF generated by Scribus. The printer works fine with other PDF created by InDesign and InkScape.

a.l.e

so, they are inserting a usb drive / key into the printer and directly printing from there?

if it's the case, can you try to send them a portrait document (not landscape) with some fake content.
i know that the mac os preview software has or used to have issues with landscape pdfs from different sources (scribus inclusive). portrait files tend to be easier to print. don't ask me why.

make sure that the page format matches (your document is "us letter", so they need that paper to be selected for the job).

HikinMike

Quote from: a.l.e on September 02, 2019, 05:29:23 PM
so, they are inserting a usb drive / key into the printer and directly printing from there?

Yes.

Quote from: a.l.e on September 02, 2019, 05:29:23 PM
if it's the case, can you try to send them a portrait document (not landscape) with some fake content.
i know that the mac os preview software has or used to have issues with landscape pdfs from different sources (scribus inclusive). portrait files tend to be easier to print. don't ask me why.

make sure that the page format matches (your document is "us letter", so they need that paper to be selected for the job).

At this point, I'm done trying to make this work. If I continue using Scribus, I will convert it as a JPG instead.