select area for pattern-fill

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillaume

How do I select one color in a picture, in this case, the white interior of france.jpg, so that I can fill it with a pattern (the eiffel tower)?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Guillaume

Nermander

Is the image vector or bitmap?

If it is native Scribus vectors (for example an imported SVG), I think you just need to create a pattern and use it as fill for the objects. If it is bitmap you likely need to do it in an image editing program. In GIMP I would select based on color and then just fill selection (possible after creating a new layer, to be able to redo it easier).

Guillaume

The image intended to be a pattern is eiffel.svg.  But, I still don't know how to select the white color.  How does one select a color in Scribus?
Guillaume

a.l.e

hi guillaume

i don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve,  but here a few ideas:

- i got an eiffel tower from: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eiffel_tower.svg
- i got one of the svg maps from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SVG_maps_of_France (the one i used was https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Coal_power_plants_in_France_map-fr_-_2011.svg)
- i've copied out the border of france from the map i've picked and saved it as an svg.
- loaded both svgs as vectors in scribus (in my case 1.5, but it should work also in 1.4)
- sent the eiffel tower to pattern and deleted it
- set the background of france as a patter and picked the eiffel tower
- scaled down the patter in the properties and turned it a little bit...

i'm attaching the result...

i don't give too many details about the process, since you might already know most steps. but don't hesitate to ask!

ciao
a.l.e

Guillaume

a.l.e, thanks for the details;  I understand all, and you have done what I intend to do.  But, I must continue the dialog because I need to clarify two items pertaining to my particular Scribus item: 1) How do you manage to select/copy just a border from a complex image?   
2) How would you select just the white of France, leaving the blue intact? I want to keep the image as is with the blue surrounding the country and fill only the white with the tower.   
To resume:  keep picture of France as is but add eiffel as a pattern in the white part.             
Guillaume

a.l.e

your map of france is a jpg picture, this cannot (without a big effort) be used for your goal.

you should really look for a svg map of france, one with only the surrounding line or one (like the one i took) where it's easy to keep only the borders.
you can then of course put a rectangle around it and fill it with the same color as you have in your jpg.

finally, scribus does not give you the the tools to directly set a pattern inside of the jpg, you will need to first convert the map to a vector or use a bitmap image editor (like gimp) to set the pattern... but -- in this case -- starting with vector drawings is by far the better option...

ciao
a.l.e

Guillaume

I wasn't satisfied with the Scribus picture because it did away with the blue surrounding the country.  Then I went to Inkscape and used TracedBitmap.  Now the whole affair is as I wanted.  The attachment shows the result.  Thank you for your asisistance.

Guillaume

a.l.e

ok!

nice to see that you could achieve the expected result!