First page on wrong side of PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

discus277

I am creating a double sided document for a book. I have the first page set up as a right side page under page properties but it ends up on the left side in the PDF created by Scribus. I have tried inserting a page but that causes the text in the following pages to be offset out of the page margins for some strange reason.

I can provide more details if someone is willing to help

Thanks, Jim

a.l.e

i'm not aware that there might be a problem there...

can you provide a sample .sla and a .pdf generated from it that shows the issue?

ciao
a.l.e

discus277

Thanks for replying. Lets start with two  screenshots, the first is of the  top of my .sla file which shows the first page on the right at top. The second is the resulting PDF.

I have the top page which is page 1 set as a normal right page and as you can see it ends up as the first page on the left. The book printer has told me that the first page has to be on the right and of course that is the way it must be or the content is jumbled

Could it be related to page numbering? i am a real newbie at this so obviously I am not doing it correctly

Thanks and please let me know if you still need to see the .sla file

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

yes, please share a .sla and a .pdf that show the issue.

thanks
a.l.e

discus277

I just replied with the two requested documents attached....It took a couple minutes to upload but it did not post?

Where did it go?

Jim

a.l.e

How could I know where your post has gone? : - )

Just try again...

discus277

I tried to POST again and the two attachments upload for a couple minutes then the screen switches to some general screen and  there is no post....no explanation

I thought since you seem to be a knowledgeable forum moderator you might know what is going on.  I certainly do not.

I would have thought the post with the screen shots would have been some help .....did you look at them?

Thanks, Jim

a.l.e

hi jim

i did some checks:

- you have the rights to upload attachments. (and this is confirmed by the fact that you did upload two PNGs)
- you have 4 contributions, which are the ones i see in this thread.
- i the logs i have access to, there is no trace of a failed upload.

and the screenshots seem to show that you correctly did setup the facing pages in scribus (but are wrongly using the grid... hint: never activate the grid, except if you're doing vector graphics... which you probably should not do with scribus...).
and it shows a pdf view that is not correct.
but i have no clue, how you did create the other view.

are you going through "file > export > to pdf..."?

if you upload the .sla and pdf i can:

- check that the pdf indeed shows up with facing pages / with the correct starting page
- check that the creator of the pdf is the scribus pdf engine
- check the document setup for the .sla
- try to produce a .pdf from that .sla and see what heppens

... all things that i cannot do with a png.

you might want to try to first zip the .sla and .pdf and upload the zip...

ciao
a.l.e

discus277

I just tried uploading two .zip files and got the same result

It seems to take a very long time for the upload (and I have a fast fibre optic line) ....a progress screen shows the % of upload as it goes. At 100% the screen goes to the "Start a New Topic" screen and the post is not there....????

Can you help me a little with this suggestion you made....

(but are wrongly using the grid... hint: never activate the grid, except if you're doing vector graphics... which you probably should not do with scribus...).

Sorry but I don't know about "activating the grid" .....what do I need to do differently?

Jim

discus277

I should have added that I did try file> export> PDF and got the same result

Jim

a.l.e

if it takes a long time to upload, the files might be too big for the forum engine.

just create a simple three pages .sla document, produce a pdf and upload both.

ciao
a.l.e

discus277

Ok, I created a 3 page .sla doc  with PDF and will try to upload both

Same result on the test. The pages are reversed

Jim

a.l.e

this is how evince shows the pdf on my computer:

that looks good to me.

which pdf reader are you using?
can you test with a different one?

ciao
a.l.e

discus277

I  was starting to  think it could be the PDF reader. The default reader in my Windows 10 computer is Microsoft Edge.

So, I just installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and guess what, it views the pages just like Edge. The first page is on the left....see attachment.

This does not make sense to me. What reader are you using?

Jim

a.l.e

this post

https://superuser.com/questions/235887/how-to-make-the-first-page-of-a-pdf-display-by-itself-and-the-succeeding-pages-d

seems to suggest that in acrobat reader you have to manually set the position for the first page in the document.

personally, i got the "right" layout in evince and a "wrong" one in mupdf (only one page at a time) and firefox (left "padded").

i haven't tried, but i'm pretty sure that evince shows the first page left when the setting is set that way.