Scribus freezes

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatinus

Hi, welcome to everyone and excuse my bad English right now.
I've been in the DTP world since the Amiga days (Pagestream), then QuarkXpress and finally InDesign. Unfortunately, since the end of March I have changed offices and I no longer have the Adobe package available and to have greater compatibility between systems I installed Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus both on Windows7 in the office and on the Mac at home.
I thought I could find applications hard to use and obtuse and instead I discovered professional and intuitive applications.
On Friday I created a brochure in the office and since we had to deliver it this morning, I thought of completing the work at home, but since Saturday Scribus freezes.
Start, the splash screen appears, but stops during "Reading color profiles" (I hope the translation is correct) as you can see from the attached image, and it stays that way until I have to force the exit.
I uninstalled it, deleted any Scribus referent file in the system, reinstalled, but the problem arises every time during that loading phase.
I created a new user and again the same problem.

Does anyone know how I can solve it please?

Mac Mini late 2012, i7, 16 GB, SSD, Mojave 10.14.5 / Scribus 1.4.8
Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

somehow i fear that scribus is crashing because of a bad font or color profile.

can you try to install the development version and see if it also crashes?

Flatinus

Quote from: a.l.e
somehow i fear that scribus is crashing because of a bad font or color profile.
I don't think the color profile, I didn't have time to use it / change it.
The font is more likely, we use so many in this activity.

Quote from: a.l.ecan you try to install the development version and see if it also crashes?
No, it didn't occur to me, I will download it, install it and update the post.
Thanks.

a.l.e

just to be slightly more precise: it's not about the color profiles and fonts used in the file, but the ones installed on your computer.

of course, try to open scribus without opening any document (double click on the application icon...), then you're sure that it's not a specific document that is at fault.

Flatinus

just to be slightly more precise: it's not about the color profiles and fonts used in the file, but the ones installed on your computer.
Yes, I understood you meant this. ;)

Quote from: a.l.eof course, try to open scribus without opening any document (double click on the application icon...), then you're sure that it's not a specific document that is at fault.
All the tests I did (with v. 1.4.8) were made without loading any .sla documents, by clicking directly on the icon in the "Applications" folder.
The developer version 1.5.4 works perfectly, either by clicking the application icon or by clicking directly on a project.
I'm thinking I'll install 1.5.4 on Windows too.
Thank you very much a.l.e.

a.l.e

just be careful: document saved with 1.5.4 cannot be opened with 1.4!

some time ago i've a patch that will show in the preferences > fonts which fonts have not been loaded.
i know that there are snapshots for windows and linux with it, but i fear that none is currently available for mac.

what you can do is: start 1.5 from the terminal and use the "-fi" parameter to see which fonts are not loaded and remove that font before starting again 1.4 . it might work or not...

... on the other side, 1.5 is much better (imo) than 1.4 and if you're just a bit careful (it's a development version... and has a few rough edges) you will have a much better experience : - )

Flatinus

just be careful: document saved with 1.5.4 cannot be opened with 1.4!
In fact, I decided to upgrade also to the Windows version.

some time ago i've a patch that will show in the preferences > fonts which fonts have not been loaded.
i know that there are snapshots for windows and linux with it, but i fear that none is currently available for mac.
It's written in my destiny: "You will come out of a niche (Amiga) and enter another niche (Mac)."  ;D

what you can do is: start 1.5 from the terminal and use the "-fi" parameter to see which fonts are not loaded and remove that font before starting again 1.4 . it might work or not...
I come from the Amiga world, there was the terminal, but wasn't so much used! :-D :-D :-D

... on the other side, 1.5 is much better (imo) than 1.4 and if you're just a bit careful (it's a development version... and has a few rough edges) you will have a much better experience : - )
I just seeing it right now...  ;)

RodneyLee

I went from Amiga to Linux and loving it

Flatinus

When I bought the PPC603+ 060 for Amiga, I tried Linux... a GNome distribution for Mac PowerPC, it was 1997 or around and it was almost compiled via terminal... fascinating, but too much stressing for me. ???
I'm more graphician than programmer, I want to click an icon and use the app, stop!

Few years ago I tried Ubuntu and noticed that the situation is changed, more user friendly than before, less compiling.

Now I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which I use mainly for retro-gaming, but in a 32GB SD Card I installed Raspbian, not bad!
Next step will be buying Raspberry Pi 4, then learn Linux.
Apple is drastically changing, in the next OS the half of the apps that I use to work will not works anymore, this is another of the reason why I'm learning Inkscape and Scribus and, maybe, Gimp, but I really don't like it, maybe 'cause I don't know it too deep.

RodneyLee

Linux is simple as any computer these day, point and click, I use linux Mint, biggest problem is so many distro's to try
I had the A4000 Tower with the '060 in it, started with the A500 used pagestream up until early last year, Scribus all the way now

Flatinus

Quote from: RodneyLee
Linux is simple as any computer these day, point and click,
It's true and I wrote it in my previous post.
The beauty of Mac OS X is unbeatable, unfortunately they are closing year by year in a glass bubble and I can no longer work on it. :(
Anyway, there will be three programs that I will miss: Photoshop, Apple Logic and Apple Final Cut, the rest - in my opinion - is all replaceable.

Quote from: RodneyLee
I use linux Mint, biggest problem is so many distro's to try
Very true, it reminds me of the phpBB forum distros (I don't know if you've ever had to do it) there were so many. ???

Quote from: RodneyLeeI had the A4000 Tower with the '060 in it, started with the A500 used pagestream up until early last year, Scribus all the way now
I had an Amiga 1000 (1985), an A500 (1987), a second A500 (1989) with an extra memory of half mega (to play "Dungeon Master") and an A1200 (1993) to which I mounted on it almost anything from Blizzard, to the PowerUp 603 + / 1260 / SCSI, up to the BVision 24bit. Now is on a tower case.
I used it until September 2017, then I hosted my old mother at home and the space is considerably reduced and I put it in the attic.
I found Pagestream in a bundle, in one of these Amigas (maybe the second 500 or the 1200), I didn't even know what DTP was, but I understood that it was what I had always done with the ciclostyle at school and what I did by hand with the markers on the labels of the floppies, audio cassettes of the demos or gigs or posters of my old Metal group and so on...
Love at the first click.  :-*
Then came QuarkXpress (and its suicide) and InDesign which, to be honest, is a great program, but too expensive.