Can't export images on PDF - Ubuntu 19.04, Scribus 1.4.8

Previous topic - Next topic

azuis

Hello,

So I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 and when trying to use Scribus (version 1.4.8 ), editing previously saved files, I re-included some images that probably changed location, but they just won't export. Actually, I can't even have my file in PDF version, because I get an error message:

[Warning]

Cannot write the file:
/home/user/xx/lalala.pdf
Failed to write an image : /home/user/folder/image.JPG

Then I also get this:

[Error]

Cannot write file /home/user/.scribus/charpalette.ucp

and this

[Error]

Scribus was not able to save its preferences:
Could not open preferences file "/home/user/.scribus//scribus140.rc" for writing: Permission denied
Please check file and directory permissions and available disk space.

I tried creating a new file and exporting to PDF, with different images, also no success. Therefore, I checked if it was an issue with a specific image, or project file, but it's not.

This makes me very worried because I use Scribus a lot, for work, for creating my portfolio and work projects. I know it may be an issue with the new version of Ubuntu, which has brought me other issues (on Nvidia), but still I'd like to know if anyone is having similar problems and if perhaps there's a solution that's not downgrading (which means re-installing the system from scratch once again).

I love Scribus, but then I find no replacement. Just installed the ppa with beta versions, more often updated, but haven't seen a way to install them, nor am sure this will solve the problem.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Cheers.

AdmFubar

Sounds like a permissions problem. Was this a clean install? Or does Ubuntu keep your old home directory untouched and just update the os in root?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

azuis

hello. in the end i reinstalled ubuntu 18.04, but still get the last 2 errors (images, APPARENTLY, are back and ok).

it wasn't a clean install, it was an upgrade thru the system (being tired of clean installs, but did it one last time).

yes, home directory always untouched, in a different partition. same user name, same computer name. any tips on solving these last ones? and for now i'm skipping 19.04, would like to hear some reports from other users as well. i thought it was an upgrade problem, now i'm slightly lost.

thank you.

[Error]

Cannot write file /home/user/.scribus/charpalette.ucp

and this

[Error]

Scribus was not able to save its preferences:
Could not open preferences file "/home/user/.scribus//scribus140.rc" for writing: Permission denied
Please check file and directory permissions and available disk space.

a.l.e

you're doing -- or have done -- something "weird".

is your home on a separate partition? disk?
that could explain your issues...

you really need to check the permissions in your home...
... from a distance, it does not really look like a scribus issue...