Blogging About Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

mbuscemi

Hello, Scribus Community!

I recently decided to see if I could make Linux my primary computing platform at home. I am a publisher of novels, and so the ability to maintain a print design and layout workflow on Linux was a large concern for me. I decided to use this weekend to explore Scribus and determine if the workflow would be viable for my needs. I blogged about the entire experience, which you can find in three parts on my blog here, here and here.

I'm looking forward to using Scribus more in the future!

a.l.e

i could only skim through your posts... and they seem to be an interesting read...

i will try to take some time during the next few days and see if there is something to learn for me or if i have things to tell you : - )

thanks for sharing!
a.l.e

Nermander

I read it briefly, I did not see any information about what version of Scribus you used?

The thing that struck me is that you initially tried to use an InDesign workflow using Scribus. But Scribus is not intended to mimic InDesing, as I noticed you discovered later Scribus has its own way to do some things (for example the Scrapbook instead of InDesign Master Pages).

Being FOSS Scribus might not develop as fast as InDesign, so comparing a fairly "young" Scribus with a "mature" InDesign is not really fair. If someone would pay the Scribus developers the same money as InDesign developers get we would see Scribus improve a lot faster. But is it is now Scribus mainly depends on voluntary work.

mbuscemi

QuoteI read it briefly, I did not see any information about what version of Scribus you used?

I evaluated Pop!_OS, whose app store currently has Scribus v1.4.8. When I mention exploring the 1.5 series, that was on Mac OSX, where I was using Scribus 1.5.4, which I downloaded from the Scribus website.

Since you mention reading briefly, I recommend you read the third and final post to the end. I doubt you will dislike or disagree with my conclusion.

Quote...comparing a fairly "young" Scribus with a "mature" InDesign is not really fair.

I would tend to disagree. It is fair to the extent that I am performing an evaluation of whether or not I can achieve my particular goals with one piece of software or another. That is merely a technical evaluation of two pieces of software. Technical evaluations happen quite frequently, both in professional and personal computing contexts. I did not set out to make any sweeping claims of "rightness" or "validity" of either piece of software. I merely wanted to find out if I could discover a Scribus workflow capable of replacing my known InDesign workflow.