Coloring bleed?

Previous topic - Next topic

georgia43

Amazon is driving me insane!!! I am trying to submit some Scribus books and they kept rejecting them until I added bleed - which I did. Now they're still rejecting them because the bleed "isn't there" - but it is! They did the same thing with the covers until I made the bleed margin blue, instead of white which is the color I really wanted. So my question is whether I can color the page bleed or somehow let these morons know it is there? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

a.l.e

welcome to the scribus forum.

i see why amazon would require the bleeds to be correctly defined...
but i don't think that they require the bleed space to be of a different color than white...

can you give the context on how your are uploading your pdf to amazon, if possible with a sample .sla that fails the amazon checks?

ciao
a.l.e

georgia43

I agree with both of your statement about bleed being defined and Amazon not requiring it to be colored. But in practice, that's what is happening because they don't seem to see the bleed. I used the template generated by Amazon and here are their requirements:

Page count: 24 to 150 pages   
Inside (gutter) margins: 0.375 in   
Outside margins (with bleed): at least 0.375 in

That's exactly what our pages are, according to Scribus - see the attached image.

Yet Amazon keeps rejecting our books saying we need to add .125 all around. If we do that, it won't fit a 6" x 9" book template any longer. I first submitted them without bleed, but they rejected all and insisted on bleed, which is now there. 

Any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi georgia

do you really export the defined bleed?
you can define 1/8" of bleed in your document but finally export your .pdf files without bleed...

utnik

georgia43

utnik,

Thanks for your reply - but I'm not sure what you mean? When I first submitted these books I chose ''no bleed'' and they sent them all back with directions to add bleed. We've been going around about this for about a week and a half and I'm about ready to give it up. I worked in publishing for 9 years and thoroughly understand bleed - better than Amazon does, obviously. And of course there is no way to contact them.

utnik

hi georgia

i just saw people editing the bleed settings in 'document setup', but in the 'pre-press' tab of the .pdf export window they kept an entry of 0mm for the bleeds.

...and i didn't know how experienced you are...

utnik

a.l.e

Quotewe need to add .125 all around. If we do that, it won't fit a 6" x 9" book template any longer.

to me, this statement does not make me very confident about the all thing.

bleeds are outside of the page. adding bleeds should not be increasing the size of your book by a single millimeter...

it's just about allowing the print shop a margin of error...