Color picker (eye dropper) and color management

Previous topic - Next topic

enzogian

Hello,
I am struggling a bit when trying to pick up a color from an object (box shape etc) but mainly when trying to give a name to such a color..

I mean, I create (for example) a box and assign a color from the available standard palette scribus shows from the pantone catalog, but as yo know they come with numbers, and if I want to give a name to that color into a customized palette so to speak, then it seems I get trapped into a no escape cycle in which I can't assign the name unless I find meticulously the very code (number of the color) and create a duplicate in the color "colors and fills" dialog box from Edit. But I am wondering why this cannot't be done directly from the color palette displaying at the right boxes in the designing user interface, like for example pressing the right button of the mouse over the color choice and ask to save as color "name" or something like that ... (?)

a.l.e

creating color by their values is -- afaik -- a very normal thing in page layout.

normally, you will have a graphical chart which will be listing all the colors that your allowed to use and where you can use them.

for the times you're more free, you can use the colors from one of the colors palettes delivered with scribus or create your "own" colors with "extra > color wheel".

of course you can use the color picker, but it's really not very precise (you often get an average color).
but i have tested it: when i use the color picker, i can simply type a name and then use it right away from one of the color tabs in the properties.

finally, as i already wrote in a previous post, there is no need to use the picker for getting the color from a shape, since the only way to apply a color to a shape is to pick it from the list of colors (except if you have a gradient... but you would mention that if this would have been case, wouldn't you?)

so: what exactly are you trying to do?

enzogian

Quote from: a.l.e on April 24, 2019, 03:18:11 PM
creating color by their values is -- afaik -- a very normal thing in page layout.

normally, you will have a graphical chart which will be listing all the colors that your allowed to use and where you can use them.

for the times you're more free, you can use the colors from one of the colors palettes delivered with scribus or create your "own" colors with "extra > color wheel".

of course you can use the color picker, but it's really not very precise (you often get an average color).
but i have tested it: when i use the color picker, i can simply type a name and then use it right away from one of the color tabs in the properties.

finally, as i already wrote in a previous post, there is no need to use the picker for getting the color from a shape, since the only way to apply a color to a shape is to pick it from the list of colors (except if you have a gradient... but you would mention that if this would have been case, wouldn't you?)

so: what exactly are you trying to do?

thansk a lot ale for all your replies, I am trying to my find way around many issues .. wow I am now facing other challenges related to text flow around svg etc.. the flow around text interface seems quite inconsistent neither  intuitive... for example I've been trying to make flow a text only around teh square of teh box (with some space around it) and not the contour of the shapes but wow no way .. at teh end I had to use an extra box only for text flowing around that box and not bothering on the svg which would be placed on top is like driving a syncronic  car compared to an automatic one .. (I know this should be an issue reported on other title or topic in the forum but just updating here on the many issues I face when trying to get used (and I am doing a very short booklet ...) in case I don' t give more details on how I think I would sort the colors thing...

PS: I really appreciate all your replies and help otherwise not sure where to find answers as some video tutorials are extremely basic and dont get deep into difficult and complex tasks ...