mathematical formulae

Previous topic - Next topic

DWFII

I am a long time user (not a power user) of Ventura Publisher. I have been looking at Scribus for some time in anticipation of moving to Windows 7 or Corel's complete disavowal of all responsibility for Ventura...which seems to have happened already.

The one thing that kept me from moving to Scribus for the last project I did was the lack of support for mathematical notation or formulas.

Even Open Office has a better solution although the coding is a bit obscure.

Ventura had a simple and simple to implement approach and even rarely used characters like vertical fractions (as opposed to diagonal) such as 32/64's could be added and sized within the text.

Are there plans to make some sort of relatively easy/simple solution or work around available?

Thanks

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: DWFII on December 05, 2011, 01:43:02 AMI am a long time user (not a power user) of Ventura Publisher. I have been looking at Scribus for some time in anticipation of moving to Windows 7 or Corel's complete disavowal of all responsibility for Ventura...which seems to have happened already.
The one thing that kept me from moving to Scribus for the last project I did was the lack of support for mathematical notation or formulas.
Ventura had a simple and simple to implement approach and even rarely used characters like vertical fractions (as opposed to diagonal) such as 32/64's could be added and sized within the text.

Assuming you are using 1.4.0 RC6 (and if not, you should be), check out Render Frames. Any formula or math feature that you can do in Latex can be placed in a Render Frame.
Linguistics on Linux!

Boneman

Quote from: DWFII on December 05, 2011, 01:43:02 AM
I am a long time user (not a power user) of Ventura Publisher. I have been looking at Scribus for some time in anticipation of moving to Windows 7 or Corel's complete disavowal of all responsibility for Ventura...which seems to have happened already.

Hi DWF11: Out interest, how are you finding moving from Ventura to Scribus? I am a couple of steps behind you in that I am a long time user of Ventura, but I realise I need to move. I've D/Led Scribus but not installed it  .. yet ;-) Apart from the equations, how do the capabilities compare? I mainly do long, book-like  things such as manuals and the like.

Many Thanks

Ray.