Hide objects

Previous topic - Next topic

jozefk

Hi,
Is there a way to hide objects on layer instead of hiding the whole layer?

a.l.e

you cannot really hide items (which is somehow logical) but you can use the main tab of the properties palette to disable the export to pdf.

(and yes, you can hide items by making them transparent...)

jozefk

Thank you for reply. OK. I can't hide them then. Transparency maybe works for objects but only if they aren't grouped.

a.l.e

for which usecase do you need hidden items?

jozefk

I have to produce number of labels and I have few objects which I use on different group of labels. So I thought about creating the first label with all objects and then to Save As the label for another version which might need the other object. With hiding labels I could have all objects present in all files and keep them turning on and off depends on the label I have to create. Anyway, I kept them in hidden layer instead and added another, visible layer, where I move the object I need for that particular label.

a.l.e

i don't think that's a good idea...

- you can keep the item in a separate file.
- put the items in the "window > scrapbook".
- you can put the items outside of the canvas.
- or, as you already mentioned, on an hidden layer.

if you hide them, you will have a hard time finding them again...

dragonfly

QuoteI have to produce number of labels and I have few objects which I use on different group of labels.

This user case is similar to producing a number of business cards.

I suggest one route is to explore https://github.com/berteh/ScribusGenerator as a python script and create VARS for your label (aka business card) objects.

jozefk

Quote from: a.l.e on January 18, 2019, 01:48:09 PM
i don't think that's a good idea...

- you can keep the item in a separate file.
- put the items in the "window > scrapbook".
- you can put the items outside of the canvas.
- or, as you already mentioned, on an hidden layer.

if you hide them, you will have a hard time finding them again...

I have to look into Scrapbook. Never tried that before. Don't even know how does that work.

jozefk

Quote from: dragonfly on January 18, 2019, 02:53:19 PM
QuoteI have to produce number of labels and I have few objects which I use on different group of labels.

This user case is similar to producing a number of business cards.

I suggest one route is to explore https://github.com/berteh/ScribusGenerator as a python script and create VARS for your label (aka business card) objects.

OK thank you. That will be useful for some simple labels in case they are all the same size.

dragonfly

QuoteThat will be useful for some simple labels in case they are all the same size.

The application of VARS is not restricted to simple objects or identical size objects.  For example VARS can be embedded in complex SVG images to dynamically change attributes.