Unable to access additional drives/folders other than "C:\"

Previous topic - Next topic

N2TE

I am a new Scribus user. After installing the product today I discovered that when trying to SAVE a file I can not access my second HDD. I'm running Win7-64 on my MAC using Parallels and have had no issues with accessing or sharing any folders across Win7/OSx.  (Parallels has worked wonderfully with ever imaginable program I have installed, back an forth between each OS.) I'm not sure if I did something wrong during installation.

I did do an internet search (prior to this posting) and didn't find any workable solution. One post from a number of years ago mentioned typing in the full path of the file to be saved on the shared drive but that didn't work. i.e. => X:\HD2\Eds_stuff .... etc etc etc...\My_First_Scribus_File ...  The only drives that are available (and visible) to me from Scribus when invoking "SAVE AS" is "A:\" or "C:\".  I have loads of material on my large supplemental (mapped to "X:\") HDD that I want to have access to but can't get to from Scribus.  If I can ONLY work on the C:\ drive this would be most cumbersome.  What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks. Ed.

utnik

hi n2te

is there a reason, why you don't use scribus under macOS?
btw. i don't know, why parallels/win/scribus doesn't recognize your second disc...

utnik

N2TE

Utnik, looks like your suggestion to install on the Mac side worked. I installed the app on the Mac OSX side and though it gave me a few warning errors it did install and open:
~ App is not from the Apple store or from an approved vendor. Open anyway? (and of course I said yes.)
~ "Scribus" is not optimized for your Mac.  (FYI-I'm running High Sierra v10.13.5, mid 2011. Apple will no longer allow me to upgrade the OS. Machine considered obsolete by Apple.)
~ This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility.
~ Ghostscript is not installed on your system, or Scribus is not configured with the path to the software. Until this is remedied, you cannot import EPS images or use Print Preview.

I encountered no error or such advisory messages when installed on the Win7 side.

I then opened the Mac app, created a test page, and when I went to do a Save-As there were two 'top-level' choices in the left pane: "Computer" and "Volumes". When I clicked on Volumes, I DID see my shared "X:\" drive.

I then went back to the Parallels/Win7 side and re-opened Scribus there and this time when I went to do a Save-As I saw in the same left-side pane that there were still the same two choices as before, "Computer" and "Ed" (my name). However without clicking anything I immediately saw my "X:\" drive appear.  Maybe something caused the drive to be visible this time subsequent to installing and running the app on the OSX side first and then running it on the Parallels/Win7 side. I can only tell you what I encountered. Anyway, my issue on the Win7 side was solved by your suggestion to install it on the Mac side.

BTW, to answer your question, I guess the reason that I installed Scribus on the Win7 side is because that's where most of my apps reside, though I do use both OS sides on my Mac. I have 3 other Linux-Ubuntu machines running here at home and might even try installing the app there.  I'm anxious to learn more about the Scribus application and grateful that there's a nice forum here that is available as a resource for us newbies to reach out to for assistance and help. Thanks. Ed.

utnik

hi n2de

Quote from: N2TE on January 10, 2019, 06:02:06 AMApp is not from the Apple store or from an approved vendor. Open anyway? (and of course I said yes.)

no problem.

Quote"Scribus" is not optimized for your Mac...
...This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility.

no problem either. it just tells you that future operating systems might no longer support scribus 1.4.7. (this warning shouldn't appear with scribus 1.5.x – and 1.4.7 runs smooth under macOS 10.14.2 anyway...)

QuoteGhostscript is not installed on your system, or Scribus is not configured with the path to the software. Until this is remedied, you cannot import EPS images or use Print Preview.

if you need it, you can find ghostscript for mac here.

utnik