Cannot Install Ghostscript

Previous topic - Next topic

alanw

Hi,
I have an IMac with OSX Lion and am trying to Install Scribus (1.4.0.rc6) I downloaded GS8 (.6 I think) but when I try to run the installer it fails at the check to see if it is possible to instal on my system and says " can't instal on systems earlier than 10.3" I suppose this means OSX 10.3 but as I have Lion installed I cannot understand this message.  Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks in anticipation

AlanW

utnik

hi alan

i would try with the latest version of ghostscript (9.?) –don't know, if it works, i still have snow leopard instaled...

utnik

alanw

Hi utnik,
Thanks for the version 9 advice!! You will think me a tech know nothing (correctly) because all the version 9 packages I download are of the form .tar  ....how do I install them?   the version 8 package I referred to in my original post was a .dmg file of a type I am used to installing  am I missing something?

AlanW

utnik

hi alan

.tar is an archive format.
open it with 'stuffit', 'the unarchiver', or something like that.
but maybe the archive contains a lot of source-files and you have to compile ghostscript. usually if there are compiled tools for mac, they are on disc images...
i never tried to install 'gs9.?' – on snow leo 'gs8.71' works fine.

...just found this: http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/ with lion i would give 'gs9.02' a try...

utnik

alanw

Hi utnik

Great advice thanks Scribus now loads and tries to open pdf docs  (only problem is no text shows just graphics)  I will play around  for a while  before shouting for help again'

Alan

Christen_Anderson

Scribus is not a .pdf viewer. You can upload .pdfs into image frames, but you can't edit them. This is probably what is causing your problem.
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

IanPD

I am running Scribus 1.4.0rc6 on Mac OS Lion 10.7.2 with Ghostscript 8.71. The Ghostscript DMG is gplgs-8.71.dmg dated 11 May 2010 downloaded from Google knows where. The combination installs (under Lion) and works fine for me. You don't need the latest and greatest Ghostscript for Scribus. Hopethis helps.