Strange PDF Error

Previous topic - Next topic

Farland

So I created a large project in Scribus. I export it as a PDF (in both X1a and X3 versions) but something seems to be wrong with the PDF.  When I open them in Adobe Acrobat, it often crashes Acrobat or causes it to hang.  It won't upload to DriveThruRPG, and when I can open it in Acrobat, if I try to do anything to it like save it as an optimized PDF, it throws a "there was an error when processing images" or simply produces an "Out of Memory" error.  I could used some help here.  Any ideas what is going on?

LesCM19

I created a pdfx-1a book for upload to WargameVault as well (which is pretty much DriveThru). It was pretty big 260Mb (not sure why, I believe I followed all the advice on image size, quality etc as best I could) and Acrobat Reader could not scroll the document without locking up. I never got as far as getting any error messages though. Switched to Foxit Reader which coped admirably.

It would not upload via their website either, eventually sent it direct to someone there and they got Lightning Source to do something weird to it to make it 'usable' but with a fair loss of image resolution I have to say.
This was their accompanying comment regarding their fix:

Quote"Because it kept crashing my acrobat, I made custom page settings to export with bleed in Preview which is mac's native pdf reader. I exported a new file, just to make it not crash, and then exported it again from acrobat as a postscript file for distiller to make another pdf. In acrobat I have custom export settings to curve down color to LS's 240% limit. So the second export makes it pdf/X *and* ink limit compliant.

You've still got something going on with either your program or machine, it's rare that they have crashes like this so you might want to look into delete/reload your program or something."

Which seems odd about the 240% ink limit when they say to use the US swop coated profile in their how-to unless that is referring to their fix proceedures.

Anyway that's where I am at with them so far. Going to see if they can work their magic without so much loss of detail. Hope this helps, or is at least interesting.
cheers

Les

LesCM19

I should say they did a further tweak of some sort which reduced the file size nicely but with no image resolution reduction and is now on Wargame Vault.
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/241665/VainGlorious-France-1940

They did hint that they'd had enough of sorting out my 'corrupt, horrible files' so revisions and updates aren't possible for me to do, which as you can guess is a pain. Any other books I do for similar target vendor I will upload as and when I make progress because like you, if you are still using Scribus, I want to know if it's going to give me a pdf usable for my purposes before I get to the end of the project  ::)
cheers

Les