Transparent background isn't transparent in pdf export

Previous topic - Next topic

DrMartinus

I have for the first time tried to create textboxes with a transparent coloured background to let the image behind shine through a little bit. However, when I export the doc to pdf, I get a solid background in the textbox. How can I change that?
I use scribus-ng (rc6) on Linux Mint 11, 64 bit.
I export to pdf/X3 which seems to be very acceptable by our printer.  
Using Linux Mint 11 with Gnome, 64 bit, Scribus-ng (1.4.0.rc6)

Nermander

If I recall correct PDF/X-3 does not support transparency.

DrMartinus

Which version should I try then? I hope my printer (I mean the shop) doesn't mess up things then...
Using Linux Mint 11 with Gnome, 64 bit, Scribus-ng (1.4.0.rc6)

a.l.e

if you're not sure about how the printer will manage it, you should flatten the transparencies (or avoid using transparencies).

printing from acrobat reader to .ps and converting the .ps back to .pdf will take care of flattening the transparencies.

from my recent experiences, ghostscript seems also to be able to do it! you may want to try the round-trip conversion with it, if you prefer to work with free software.

... sadly, scribus can't do it on its own (it's an hard task to do it correctly) and printers don't always fully support pdf versions which contain transparencies (1.4 upwards)

hope that helps
a.l.e

Nermander

Quote from: a.l.e on November 21, 2011, 01:20:55 PM
printing from acrobat reader to .ps and converting the .ps back to .pdf will take care of flattening the transparencies.

But how do you retain PDF/X-3 features in such a conversion process?

a.l.e

pdf/X-3 does not support (live) transparencies and scribus can't flatten transparencies.

you can try with ghostscripts' pdftops (not pdf2ps) since it is supposed to flatten your transparencies.

with ps2pdf you can recreate a pdf/x-3 file.

google says that it should work...

please try that and give us some feedabck if it did work for you!

ciao
a.l.e