Compiling scribus with qt creator

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibbz

Quote from: a.l.e on January 23, 2019, 06:50:22 PM
out of curiosity: gibbz, what's your goal after you got scribus to compile?

Look at fixing the annoyances that I deal with daily.
Do let me know if any of these have been fixed at all, or point me to the area of code where I can look into... Or if anyone can give me a hand to fix some of these up!

- Improve the snapping tool to snap to nearest object to the mouse
- fix the alternate selection modes (shift + alt + ctrl)
- improve resizing modes (shift + ctl + alt)
- improve the right click drag copy to show the object as the user drags
- line spacing to have an option for 1.0x a values a multiplier of the font size
- click and drag from a page to object off the page will not select it, and vice-versa

a.l.e

nice!

QuoteImprove the snapping tool to snap to nearest object to the mouse

can you say more about it?

what do you think about the idea of "removing" the current "snap to item" mode and replace it with an "on demand" snapping?

instead of turning the snapping on and off, one could press the shift key while dragging to temporarily turning the snapping on.

harder to discover, but in my workflow i prefer to rely on the guides for snapping.
the snapping to items tends to snap too much and i only notice that i could used it, while i'm already dragging an item...

i think i've already made a patch for that... but i'm not sure that i have submitted it...

Quoteimprove the right click drag copy to show the object as the user drags

as you might have read in the bug tracker, i would rather see this "feature" to be removed...
... i'm still looking for somebody explaining me, why this way of copying an item is useful...

in my eyes it is hard to discover, awkward to perform, and needs more clicks than the alternatives...

the only reason i can think of, is to perform the task with the mouse only. practical for a one handed person, but:

- there is not much you can do with scribus, without touching the keyboard.
- the strength of scribus seems to be in having one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse.

if scribus should have something in that direction, i would like to have the drag+space for multiple copies like in inkscape. (i still prefer the ctrl-d + mouse or keyboard move... but i see why this feature is useful for other workflows / persons)

Quotefix the alternate selection modes (shift + alt + ctrl)

a greedy selection mode has been added recently (press the alt key).

what do you plan to fix?

Quoteimprove resizing modes (shift + ctl + alt)

in which "direction"?

Quoteline spacing to have an option for 1.0x a values a multiplier of the font size

i would not add a new mode for that.

on the one side, it might be possible to enhance the current "automatic linespacing" to have a 1.0 value. setting the value to 1.5 would give you a multiplier.

but, in my experience, for DTP, the automatic linespacing should be sparely used, the baseline and fixed linespacing being the preferred ones.
the automatic linespacing can be handy from time to time, but it's always a feature that "promotes" bad layouts.

i must admit that i have sometimes missed the 1 1/2 times setting, but the workaround is simple enough and the end result is then better...

mixed feelings here...

all this having being said: nice to see that you want to improve scribus!

Gibbz

- Improve the snapping tool to snap to nearest object to the mouse
AFAIK shift is used to constrain the axis while moving an object. So using this to toggle snap wouldnt work that great. The way I would like it to work is that it will only snap to the closest object under the mouse cursor. So the user is basically mousing over what they want it to snap to by moving the cursor. Currently it snaps to any object on the page, even if its not visible. This method works excellent in corel draw, and meas there is no need to toggle snap on and off constantly.

- fix the alternate selection modes (shift + alt + ctrl)
shift select should invert selection, which it does when clicking a individual object. But not when holding shift + selecting a region

- improve resizing modes (shift + ctl + alt)
shift + resize drag - should scale around the centre of the object. For example: If a user selects say the left edge, with shift + resize this should increase the width equally on both sides.

shift to constrain doesnt always work correctly, seems to be overwritten by the snap, but it shouldnt be

- improve the right click drag copy to show the object as the user drags
Great, a duplicate shortcut would also work for this! I agree that would be a better solution

- line spacing to have an option for 1.0x a values a multiplier of the font size (or percentage as 100% default)
Automatic line spacing seems to never behave correctly with large fonts or small fonts.
I thought to add another option to the drop down maybe called 'proportionate' or 'scale' which would be a multiple of the font size.

- click and drag from a page to object off the page will not select it, and vice-versa
This seems to be working except on a new document without moving the canvas the user cannot select right to left or bottom to top with a selection box. Just seems to be a minor glitch :)

a.l.e

Hi gibbz

congratulations for your first patch!

i will stop here this discussion, since it does not match the title of this thread any more.

but i'd like to continue the discussion on some of the topics in separate threads.

i'll open a thread for the snapping.

YtterX

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a more up-to-date guide on how to setup Scribus with QtCreator.
I'm on Linux and was trying to follow https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/QtCreator_-_workflow_for_Scribus_and_Git_repository_under_Linux but I think QtCreator has changed too much since this was written for me to follow...

If there is a better guide available please let me know.

a.l.e

a few years ago i've written:

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-development/blob/master/content/compiling-with-qt-creator-en.md

it should be mostly correct, but contributions / feedback are welcome!

only the linked list of dependencies is probably outdated.