Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#

Previous topic - Next topic

jack_cat

dragonfly

This tip follows on from my earlier suggestion that to improve on search performance you download and analyse the lilypond snippets repository.

We will attempt to leverage open source semantic analysis tools to work with Atom and Scribus.

Assuming that you have downloaded the lilypond snippets repository.

Proceed to this website ...

http://www.laurenceanthony.net/software.html

and download AntConc to match your local system.

There are other companion tools but AntConc should be sufficient for music notation.

Launch AntConc and the first requirement is in Global Settings > Files
and set Default file type to ALL then hit Apply button.

This ensures that lilypond files ending in *.ly will be analysed with other file types.

Now we navigate to AntConc File > Open Dir ...

I had downloaded and placed the Lilypond repository here ..

$HOME/Music/lsr-snippets-all-2018-10-23

and I select this target directory in AntConc.

This shows in left panel ... Total Number 3439 (the number of ALL files in the lilypond snippets repository).

Starting with field in Search Term - words

type some search term such as "bass" and hit Start.

After the search is completed browse through the tab views ..

Concordance | Concordance Plot | File View | Cluster NGrams | Collocates | Word Count | Keyword List

You may have to hit "Start" again as you switch tab views.

A useful tab view is Concordance.

e.g. type in search field some music term such as "bass" and click on any "bass" keyword coloured in blue.

This takes you to File View tab to preview the location where the keyword is located.

The file location is given at top of window.

Another useful view is Concordance Plot which shows where the term appears in each file.

Hopefully this concordance tool will improve your productivity.
I hope that it is not too technical.

These concordance analysis tools can be used to analyse any content and not just music notation. For example an author of any publication might wish to scan through a several hundred page book to search for terms.

jack_cat

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/
the lilypond snippet repository URL is "server not found" - for now.

Downloaded Ant Conc, looks interesting, crashed when I opened the help file, had to close it w/ Windows Task Mgr.
I'll try the LP snippet rep again tomorrow.
thanks-

dragonfly

The lsr server does indeed seem to be busy.

Regarding concordance tool here is another one to try.

http://neon.niederlandistik.fu-berlin.de/en/textstat/

This one allows url's to be specified in building a corpus (AntConc does not offer that feature). So you could scrape pages in the lilypond web site.

I installed TextSTAT-3-beta (python3 usage) and ran the command

python3 TextSTAT.py to launch.

P.S. regarding AntConc crash there are two windows types to choose from when downloading. Did you match the correct software to your PC? 32bit or 64bit?

dragonfly

It does appear from this old thread ..  http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Lilypond-Snippet-Repository-td160345.html .. that the University of Milan lsr server does go off line on occasions.

QuoteThe web page at http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

I tried pinging it today.

ping lsr.di.unimi.it
PING sliver.docenti.di.unimi.it (159.149.136.4) 56(84) bytes of data.

So the options appear to be:

(a) raise a question at lilypond site on server status
or
(b) switch to online (url) queries for corpus building using TextSTAT.

I guess I was just lucky to earlier download the snippets repository to experiment with AntConc.

TextSTAT is a useful concordance tool. Since it is python based it might be a better choice to integrate (later) into Scribus pipeline.

Incidentally the conclusion I arrived at on Markdown>Scribus pipeline prototype was that the Atom markdown > Scribus pipeline requires an intermediary standard and as far as I see it should be epub2/epub3.

Thus the envisaged pipeline chain I'm working on will be ..

Atom (or other pre-authoring framework) Markdown > Markdown Preview Enhanced / Pandoc > Epub export > Scribus Epub import > printed AND/OR online publications

Ironically I have read that there has been earlier discussion on exporting epub from Scribus and I see that there is Scribus work in progress on that.  With the above envisaged chain, epub is created before hitting Scribus.  The epub style emulates the required Scribus document layout.  However Scribus does offer advanced layout features such as text flow around polygons and vectors and some compromise will be needed.

jack_cat

jack_cat

An update on my current workaround with the end-note issue which started this thread:
Still working w/ version 1.4.6 (ha, going to have to upgrade someday...)

I am working in an 8.5 x 11" format with wide margins, and I have taken to putting the entire end-note texts into text boxes in teeny type in the margins next to the end-noted passage in the draft .sla file for each chapter. When I send the file to a draft .pdf, the notes are handy to their sources. When the draft is finished it will be easier to collect them all and put them in another .sla file together, than it would be if I had kept them in a separate file, and to fix all of the numbers at the same time while they are still side-by-side in the same file, and not have to go back and forth between windows. Until that point, it does not matter whether the numbering is correct, as long as I keep the marginal note and the noted text on the same page. I could easily do same-page footnotes with this same process, but I don't want the clutter on the page, so I still intend to use end-notes. This is not as streamlined as it might be, but it is an improvement over what I was doing before. Understand, I am still composing directly in Scribus in spite of all advice not to.

dragonfly

You can also place notes in your current workflow into a separate layer.
You can then preview pages with and without the notes layer enabled.