text editor opens at selected frame or cursor position

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus

Long documents like book chapters tend to have most of the text in linked frames. Edit text always opens at the beginning of the text. Would be great if it would open at the text beginning the selected frame if one is selected. Would be even better if there was a way to put a cursor in the text before opening the text editor and then the text editor would open showing the paragraph containing the cursor.

r

Nermander

The common response is: Don't use the story editor, just double click the text frame where you want to edit the text.

rufus

Yes, the existing facility is very useful when all you want to do is add/modify text. I find I regularly need access to the text formatting controls which are not available except through the editor. Thus the request.

utnik

hi rufus

could you tell us, what controls you're missing in 'properties' (or 'text properties') while formatting in the frame?

utnik

Nermander

Quote from: rufus on December 19, 2018, 12:56:39 AM
Yes, the existing facility is very useful when all you want to do is add/modify text. I find I regularly need access to the text formatting controls which are not available except through the editor. Thus the request.

As Utnik indicates, they are. Just not in a toolbar, but instead in a separate dialog.

Both the properties palette (F2) and the style manager (F3) can (as far as I know) be used to format the text "inline" in a text frame.

rufus

Hello both,

Ah yes, the properties palette works fine. Thanks! I think what made me think it would not is this: If I select some text directly in the frame and then look at the Name in the properties palette, it is the name of the frame, implying (heretofore to me) that changes made in the palette will apply to the entire frame, not just the anonymous span I have selected.

Thanks again.

r