"Edit Image" does not account for Gimp being open already

Previous topic - Next topic

jack_cat

Now, this is a minor issue but I would like to point it out.
I am running Scribus 1.4.6 on Windows 7.
Right-clicking on an image already imported into Scribus 1.4.6 offers the option to "Edit Image".
The external image editor is configurable in Preferences > External tools, where the path to the .exe file is specified.
I have this set up to call Gimp.
Unfortunately, it only works if Gimp is not open already.
If Gimp is already open, it returns an error message:

Information
The program C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe is already running!
(Button) "OK"

On pressing the "OK" button, the window goes away, and Gimp does not open the file.
Because Gimp takes some time to load, it is my usual practice to leave it open while I am working.
When Gimp is open, of course there is a workaround:
go to Extras > Manage Images
and look up the folder for the file and then go open it with Gimp.
This is not quite as handy as the "Edit Image" routine, which should open the file with one click.
However, the load time for Gimp slows this one-click routine down considerably.
It would be nice if the "Edit Image" routine could check if the external program is already open and call it either way.

I don't mind working with Scribus's occasional hiccups. It is a free program, obviously it is incredibly useful and saved me the big bucks I didn't have for InDesign. So, this is not a complaint, just an observation.
Should I be posting this on the development site? It can't really be called a bug, it is not such a big deal.
It's just a feature that hasn't been completely worked out, so I am calling it to the attention of any of the developers who may be interested.
Thanks for all the great work so far!
jack 

utnik

hi jack

this issue has been fixed almost two years ago. but the fix was in scribus 1.5.3 and it has never been backported to the 1.4.x branch.
in the current development version 1.5.4 it works.

utnik

jack_cat

Ayy, I might have to upgrade after all. Thanks for telling me!