Possible vector graphic trouble pdf/x-1a

Previous topic - Next topic

LesCM19

I have been trying to get my pdf/x-1a document past the Wargame Vault/DriveThruRPG/Lightning Source premedia stage for a while.

Completed contents files would not upload to WV, it wasn't that they were rejected, the upload just hung. Since then tests revealed that contents versions without vector files uploaded OK but versions with vector files sent direct to LS were rejected possibly due to a flattening issue, they said.

Is this something which can occur with vector graphics? I have three layers for the background masterpages, image boxes and text boxes (the vector files are in the image layer for text to flow around).

The vector graphics were created by printing to a .ps file with a virtual postscript printer, renamed to .prn files and imported as vector files. They display fine when viewing the finished pdf.
cheers

Les

Farland

What's the size of the file with vectors? Vectors can make the file very large. It is annoying how DTRPG doesn't tell you what's wrong when a file won't upload though.

mnawij

I would recommend converting the file to an image format at 400-600 dpi depending on your smallest font point size. jpg / tif / png file formats should work, double check with DTRPG.  Also vector files actually are smaller than raster/image files.  Another option if you have access to Adobe Acrobat is to resave the pdf file to flatten: see  https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/printing-complex-pdfs-acrobat.html  about 4 topics down from the top before uploading your file.

Regards,

mnawij

LesCM19

Quote from: Farland on June 28, 2018, 03:01:37 PM
What's the size of the file with vectors? Vectors can make the file very large. It is annoying how DTRPG doesn't tell you what's wrong when a file won't upload though.

It was a fair size, I'll check when I touch base with home. I got the impression the website upload was 'timing out' or rejecting it as a false positive for...something or other. That was just my feeling as you say, no specific error to work with, I was just reading between the lines.
cheers

Les

LesCM19

Quote from: Farland on June 28, 2018, 03:01:37 PM
What's the size of the file with vectors?

The sla file is 431,295kb and the pdf can be anything from 115,846kb uncompressed to 34,049kb automatic compression with minimum quality.
cheers

Les

LesCM19

Used a trial of Foxit Phantom which has a flattening function and also appears to have the option to save as pdf/x-1.

If I flatten and save, it saves as pdf 1.5, if I flatten and do a save as pdf/x-1a it hangs at 5%. So I'm still looking for a decent pdf editor without renting Acrobat Pro off Adobe.

Beginning to wonder if anyone has actually managed to get anything published via Wargame Vault/Lightning Source using Scribus.
cheers

Les