SOLVED: Scribus Document Windows Not Showing Up

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Hi,
I'm putting this here in case it can help someone else. The document window for Scribus 1.5.4 would not show up. This post gives the solution.

I had installed Scribus 1.5.4. After opening the program it came to the New Document window, but when I chose the type of document to create it acted as though the window would open, but it did not appear on the screen. This happened whether I tried to create a new blank document or if I tried to open an existing document or a recent document. the document window would not appear on the screen. the Scribus icon was down in the toolbar and it acted as though there was an open document, but it wasn't showing.

I did some research and I came across this thread: " Topic: Document windows not visible! http://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=494.0" the answer was given by utnik in the second message:

QuoteRe: Document windows not visible!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52:33 pm »
you're right, usually this problem lies in a wrong definition for the position of the main window.

you can change this definition with a text editor in the file: /Users/'your name'/Library/Preferences/Scribus/scribus140.rc.
search for a line beginning with: <MAINWINDOW
and set the position entries to: YPOS="22" XPOS="10"

save the file and launch scribus – now the window should be visible...

utnik

However I had to revise utnik's answer to account for 6 years have passed and a few things have changed.

The location of the file has changed to this:
Users /"your name"/AppData/Roaming/Scribus/

In Scribus 1.5.4 the name of the file is scribus150.rc (I made a backup copy of the file before changing anything in it.)

I opened the file in a code editor (a text editor would probably be OK as well) I found the needed line at line 504
<MainWindow YPosition="120" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="1537"/>

Using Utnik's info I made these changes to YPosition and XPosition:

<MainWindow YPosition="22" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="10"/>

I saved the file and then when I opened Scribus and created or opened a document it showed on the screen just like it was supposed to.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
Windows 10 pro
Lenovo X230

a.l.e

thanks stephen for your contribution!

just one remark: the path suggested by utnik (/Users/'your name'/Library/Preferences/Scribus/scribus140.rc) is for scribus 1.4 and for mac os x! i guess that for scribus 1.5 on mac os x it is now something like "/Users/'your name'/Library/Preferences/Scribus/scribus150.rc" .

as you're writing, the path you're mentioning (Users /"your name"/AppData/Roaming/Scribus/) is for windows (10, and probably also for some older versions of windows).

both seem to be correct to me!
just on two different types of computers.

and since we now have most of the information here: on linux it is

/home/"user name"/.scribus/

for scribus 1.4 (and older 1.5 versions) and

/home/"user name"/.config/scribus

for the current (and future) scribus 1.5 / 1.6 versions.

Stephen

Hi a.l.e,
Thank you for filling in the missing details of my post.
Stephen

Stephen

Quote from: Stephen on June 20, 2018, 09:05:42 AM
I opened the file in a code editor (a text editor would probably be OK as well) I found the needed line at line 504
<MainWindow YPosition="120" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="1537"/>

Using Utnik's info I made these changes to YPosition and XPosition:

<MainWindow YPosition="22" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="10"/>

UPDATE. After my previous message I had been using Scribus 1.5.4 successfully a few times. Then I had accidentally tried to open my 1.5.4 data file with Scribus 1.4.7, and of course I got the error message. Here is the curious part. Afterward, when I opened Scribus 1.5.4 it began having a similar problem as I had as described at the beginning of the message thread. Then I opened the scribus150.rc file and looked again at line 504. The numbers in red below had changed.

<MainWindow Height="972" YPosition="61" Width="1366" XPosition="1434" Maximized="0"/>

Then, making sure that Scribus was closed, I changed the numbers back to my new settings:
<MainWindow YPosition="22" Width="1366" XPosition="10" Height="972" Maximized="0"/>

I then saved the scribus150.rc file and Scribus 1.5.4 began working correctly again.

Best Wishes,
Stephen