layout: RTL columns

Previous topic - Next topic

heshy507

I cannot find a way to create columns that read from right to left. in Hebrew, we need to have the first column on the right side and the second on the left side of the page. i don't believe this option is available
(in word, this effect is achieved by layout>page_setup>layout>section_direction)

a.l.e

personally, i normally prefer to create the column by first defining the guides from "page > manage guides".
you can use the "rows and column" tab to create columns.
if you create the "columns" on a master page, you will then have them on each page based on the master page.

if you work with "real" columns, it will be easier to align text snippets and images with your text... and RTL won't be an issue anymore : - )

it would be nice if somebody who has a need for it would continue the work for the RTL support in scribus. the basics are there, now we need multiple small features : - )

Nermander

Quote from: heshy507 on April 08, 2019, 08:54:49 PM
I cannot find a way to create columns that read from right to left.

What version of Scribus are you using? I think RTL support is fairly new (or not even finished?).

a.l.e

ok, i checked: columns do work in RTL mode...

so, nermander seems to be right: you first need to get a recent development version, if you want to use RTL.

still, in most cases, using guides for creating columns is imo a better way to do create a layout.

ciao
a.l.e

heshy507

a.l.e

hi heshy,

just to be clear: have you found out how to type RTL in scribus?

you have to click on the RTL button in the text palette. it's placed on the left of the "usual" alignment buttons.

if you activate that, the columns will be filled from right to left.

and if you create the columns with guides, you can simply first create a column on the right and then link it to one on the left.

p.s.: you can probably not use the auto text feature. but, personally, i would not use it anyway... linking frames has got so fast, nowadays... (and it will get even more comfortable when my patch for multi page duplication is accepted...)

heshy507

ok i just tried it and it does in fact work! i am not sure why this was not the case when i tried it last. thank you very much a.l.e