Problems with tables as images

Previous topic - Next topic

GarryP

I would be cautious using tabulators without some proper testing.

Just as a quick test, I created a small text file containing what I wanted in a table with a tab between the items.
Then I created a text frame and imported the text file.
Then I changed the tabulator settings.
Most of it worked but I couldn't get the first "column" to be anything other than left-justified.
Not a major problem, but then I re-imported the text and most of the tabulator settings had gone.
The "columns" were still there but the centre/right-justifications had been changed to left-justified and the tab stops had gone missing from the tabulator dialog altogether.

This was with 1.4.6. I don't know if 1.5.x has more solid functionality.
If 1.5.x does things better then I would be tempted to use the tabulator in that (as a.l.e suggests), but not with 1.4.6.

Just make sure it does what you want before using it "in the field".

Farland

I am using 1.5.3 (I think it's .3. I am at work.) I will give the tabulator method a try, as well as just trying to use the included table function. I'll report back.

Nermander

I have been working on "cheat cards" for 5e (instead of a DM screen), and I have been using TABs for almost all tables I think.

Ok, they were done in MS Word and not in Scribus, but since I used a 2 cell table for each card (back and front), it became difficult to use "real" tables.

I enclose a PDF of the current draft (some text in Swedish since I am Swedish and have been doing these for myself).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Farland

That looks pretty good, Nermander.  Thanks for sharing.

LesCM19

I use a postscript virtual printer for my biggest tables that I am just no way going to draw up again!

https://www.stat.tamu.edu/~henrik/GSPSprinter/GSPSprinter.html

Select print area>print; rename .prn file created  to .ps; import vector graphic into Scribus.

Sometimes the area of table selected goes wonky-haven't worked out why-been using it with Excel & Word docs with 100% success (eventually).

UPDATE: THE IMPORTING OF VECTOR FILES IN THIS WAY WOULD APPEAR TO BE INCOMPATIBLE WITH PUBLISHING VIA WARGAME VAULT AND POSSIBLY LIGHTNING SOURCE TOO. IT'S FINE IF YOU JUST WANT TO CREATE A PDF BUT PROBABLY/POSSIBLY NOT NOT FOR POD PURPOSES!!
The book contents file will not upload to WV and they say it 'appears to be corrupted'. Versions prior to adding my vector files DO upload.
cheers

Les