Fold out pages for a coffee table book

Previous topic - Next topic

RTS

Hello Everyone,

New user here. SCRIBUS looks great for so many day to day jobs.

I am about to start the layout of a coffee table book, 13x9.5 inches, 272 pages, nearly all filled with both colour and B&W photography.

I feel comfortable with the software having been an InDesign user in the past.

I would like to include about a dozen fold out pages.
I have no idea how to approach this.
It would be great to know how before I begin.

Has anyone successfully designed a hard cover book of this type in SCRIBUS with this feature?

Thank-you,
RT Simon

www.fineprintphoto.com

Rehearsing with Gods Photographs and Essays on the Bread & Puppet Theater
Chelsea Green Publishing 2004

RodneyLee

you might ask or check with your printer for a template, you should be able to layout that page front and back separately or I heard and not tried that Scribus can do different pages sizes in same document

mnawij

Hello RTS,

Two options:
1. Layout those pages as separate files as the printer will probably have to print those pages on their own signature sheets (printing term).
2. a. Create the default page size of 13"x9.5", btw little tidbit: it is always width then height when defining printing specs if you did not know
    b. Select the page with the flyout option by clicking on it
    c. Menu Page -> Page Properties
    d. Adjust new width and heighth -> Click OK
    e. Not sure if the printer will want those pages inline/in the pdf file or not, you will have to confirm that with them.

mnawij

utnik

hi simon

you can define a different page width for your fold out pages ('page' → 'manage page properties'). but you should check with your printer if there are special requirements or marks.

utnik

Nermander

As utnik mentions, in Scribus each page can have its own size.

But the main point here is to find out in what way your printer (or rather the bookbinder) wants the pages.

Impositioning for fold-out pages is probably complicated, try do describe how the sheets should be folded to allow for this.

RTS

Hi mnawij,

Thanks for the very detailed response.
As it seems very doable in SCRIBUS, there is no need to rent InDesign, which incidentally just went up to $21 US per month for a single app subscription.

That was part of the aim of my inquiry.

Thanks again,
RTS