Resizing shape: 1.5.3 specific

Previous topic - Next topic

deonholt

Hi and thank you for your help.

I started learning Scribus about 3 days ago.
Shapes in 1.4.6
I have a textbox on a page with text. I add Image box with Image. Image larger than image box and I choose: resize image to frame.
After this I can freely drag the BOX a little bit bigger so the text is not to close to the image. I can do this without the image itself continually resizing itself according to the size of the box that holds it.

But, it doesn't work the same in 1.5.3
When I resize the image BOX the image automatically resizes according to the size of the box. Is there a way in 1.5.3 to "switch off" the resizing once I am happy with the size of the image and just want to enlarge the size of the frame only?
I know I can by double clicking on the image move it around in the image frame. But, the moment I enlarge the frame on the top, the image resizes.  :(

Will appreciate some help. This is so frustrating.

GarryP

I don't know about the differences in 1.5.x - I don't use the developmental versions and would not recommend them to beginners - but I think you're doing the wrong thing to get what you want.
To get text to flow around an image frame, leaving a gap between the image and the text, you should be using the Contour Line instead of resizing the image frame.
See here https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Working_with_image_frames#Text_Flows_Around_Frame for some basic information.

deonholt

Quote from: GarryP on February 25, 2018, 09:22:04 AM
I don't know about the differences in 1.5.x - I don't use the developmental versions and would not recommend them to beginners - but I think you're doing the wrong thing to get what you want.
To get text to flow around an image frame, leaving a gap between the image and the text, you should be using the Contour Line instead of resizing the image frame.
See here https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Working_with_image_frames#Text_Flows_Around_Frame for some basic information.
Thank you very much for your advice.
I have worked through the doc you sent and it works great in 1.5.3
Must say I have done a bunch of tutorials on 1.4.6 to familiarise myself with Scribus. I'm getting there but still have a lot to learn.

Thank you once again.

GarryP

You're welcome.

Scribus is a lot more feature-rich than it first looks and there is a lot of terminology used that is difficult to search for if you don't know what something is called, E.g. contour line, ligatures, etc.

We all had to learn this stuff ourselves - and there are still plenty of things in Scribus where I have no real idea of how they actually work - so you're not alone.

a.l.e

i did not 100% understand what you are doing... but i have the feeling that there is something "wrong" in your workflow...

the only thing i can say -- and i have a hard time to tell if it will help you: you should make sure that the image always fills (overflows or exactly fills) the frame... not doing so, is a possible cause of errors.

in any case, i've not noticed any changes between 1.4 and 1.5 that would hinder my work when getting text and pictures to "interact".

deonholt

Quote from: a.l.e on February 26, 2018, 02:00:47 PM
i did not 100% understand what you are doing... but i have the feeling that there is something "wrong" in your workflow...

the only thing i can say -- and i have a hard time to tell if it will help you: you should make sure that the image always fills (overflows or exactly fills) the frame... not doing so, is a possible cause of errors.

in any case, i've not noticed any changes between 1.4 and 1.5 that would hinder my work when getting text and pictures to "interact".
Thanx for your reply. I want to have space between the image and the text when image box is inserted in text box.

a.l.e

if i understand you correctly, here is a video tutorial showing how to get text to float around images:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GejVibeqeyI

- enable the captions
- run it at 50% of the speed
(both options are in the settings in lower right corner of the video...)