Automatic page numbering

Previous topic - Next topic

regit

@harryllama, with the details that you have provided thus far about your project, and assuming your finished work will have more than 100 pages (considering it is a book of three novellas), I suggest that you create a new file (document) for each chapter. I would create a master right page for the first page of the chapter, and two other masters for the rest of the pages for that chapter.
Maybe names like Ch1_Pg1R, Ch1_PgsR, and Ch1_PgsL.

If you would have a lot of chapters resulting in a lot of masters named this way, just use Ch_ instead of Ch1_. Remember that after you have a master page defined in a document, you can import that master into a new document so that you don't have to create a new master for the new document. Then just edit the imported master to the requirements of your new chapter.

Now you can have the Novella title as a running head in either of the L or R masters. (It is rather bad form to have it on both L and R pages.) This is probably the easiest route to get what you want. It can be done with scripting, but I suspect that you don't really want to dive into those waters.

(Unless you are nearly finished with the book, there is little point in fussing with the layout details. If you want an idea of how the layout would look, you can make a mock up of just 3 or 4 pages by manually setting up text frames, image frames, page numbers, etc.)

--edit 22 Feb.--
I should have mentioned that if you use a first page of the chapter Right Master, you can just omit a page marker altogether, so it is impossible for the master to display a page number; problem solved without using sections.

regit

Quote from: harryllama on February 08, 2018, 09:00:39 PM

Also, is there some way to suppress the page number on the first page of each novella, and on each new chapter page?

Harry
There is always the "dirty" way--if your page number is sitting on white background, put a frame over it on the page that you want the number "suppressed", set the stroke to none and fill to white. Voila! You numbering continues consecutively throughout the document but does not display on your "suppressed" pages.

harryllama

Thanks, everyone, a lot of helpful answers! It looks like I'll use the "Sections" for page numbering to differentiate front matter with Roman numerals from the novellas, which will be numbered consecutively in arabic numerals.

And it looks like I'll use four sets of Master pages, one set for each novella, and one for the front matter. And yes, the novella title will only appear on the right hand pages. My name will appear on the left.

It would be nice to have a function like the page number function for the running heads, so that it changes with each chapter, section, or whatever. But duplicate master pages is certainly an easy workaround.

Harry

tosca

Quote from: regit on February 18, 2018, 04:25:38 PM
Using Chrome, the "preview" of your book does not display headers; only the images are displayed on the pages.
It might be because the characters are not dark enough (I used some grey).
They are darker in this other book, look in the left/right margins, the chapter titles and the icons associated are just over the page number.
And in this one, you'll find a more classical layout, in the up margin.

tosca

Quote from: harryllama on February 08, 2018, 09:00:39 PM

Also, is there some way to suppress the page number on the first page of each novella, and on each new chapter page?

Harry

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. But the answer is the same: put the page number on the "master page" that you apply - or not - to your actual pages.
In almost all my photos books, I use a "head of chapter" master page that is different from the regular ones.