Need help converting INDESIGN book layout to SCRIBUS (1.4.6)

Previous topic - Next topic

carlmagnus

Hi.

For anyone interested, I've set up a job on a freelance website, so you'd get paid at least 10 USD for helping out with the file conversion/file save.

I would really appreciate help converting my InDesign book layout to SCRIBUS 1.4.6 (and make sure master pages are fully functional).

I've tried exporting the InDesign file as PS (post-script) but when I try to open this file in Scribus, I get a 'fatal error' message. Same thing happened with .idd (InDesign) format.

I don't have regular access to InDesign and therefore want to do layout work in Scribus instead.

The InDesign file contains a few master pages and sample text. The format of the book page layout is 5" x 8"

Any useful tips regarding Scribus would be much appreciated too (if there are things I should keep in mind).

RodneyLee

can you just import a .pdf? (would have to redo text as needed)

Nermander

As far as I know there is unfortunately no easy way to convert from Indesign och Scribus, it generelly involves a lot of manual labour.

Scribus 1.5 (development version) has limited support for IMDL and IMDS, but not IDD.

a.l.e

If you  promise to sell the book for 10 cents the copy, i can help you for 10 USD...

this is for free:

- the best you can do is to export the file from ID as IDML and import it then in scirbus 1.5.3.
- second best is to export it to pdf and then import it in scribus 1.5.3 and recreate there the styles
- third solution, which works also in the 1.4 stable version: load the master pages from the PDF as background images in Scribus and redraw everything on top of it.

good luck!
a.l.e

mnawij

Any chance of a link to download a packaged indesign folder with all fonts and images?  I would like to look at how much work would be involved before committing any help.

Regards,

mnawij