Overlapping bleeds

Previous topic - Next topic

lucanapo

As title says...i set up the bleeds and they overlap in the middle part of the layout, as you can see in the pic:

This results in images overlapping on the previous page as you can see:

What should I do to fix this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

Welcome to the forum lucanapo.

EDIT: NOTE: My answer here may be interesting to some people but - as utnik says below - bleeds along the binding (inside) edges of the pages should not normally be used for multi-page documents. Please read the rest of the thread before using bleeds.

I don't use bleeds myself but I think the solution is just to increase the gap between the pages in "Document Setup / Display / Gap Between Pages". Set it to the sum of the two horizontal bleed measurements, e.g. left + right.

By default, Scribus assumes a zero gap but when you apply bleeds it doesn't automatically change the gap so the right-hand page is displayed over the right-hand part of the left-hand page.

I think that's all you need to do but another form member - someone who gets stuff printed - might be able to give more information (or a better solution if mine is not good enough).

utnik

hi lucanapo

as garry mentions, a gap between the displayed pages will fix the problem. but it will produce a new one...

but first: do you really need bleeds on the binding edge of your pages? (depends on the binding method...)
if you need bleeds on the inner edge, you could use the mentioned gap ('file' → 'documenrt setup' → 'display' → 'gaps between pages') – but take care with overlapping elements! if you insert an image which spans over both pages of a spread, you need two separate image frames to add the supplementary area for the bleeds (a part of the image covering twice the width of one bleed needs to be printed twice. otherwise you'll miss this part in the final product.)
without the gap, you could (in most cases) just place your graphics and images over your double page spreads. that's why i would ask about the need for bleeds on the binding edge.

utnik

lucanapo

Thank you so much guys, I was going to work around it with master pages, but your solution is better and simpler. Thanks again :)

lucanapo

Quote from: utnik on January 10, 2018, 05:42:33 PM
hi lucanapo

as garry mentions, a gap between the displayed pages will fix the problem. but it will produce a new one...

but first: do you really need bleeds on the binding edge of your pages? (depends on the binding method...)

Probably not strictly necessary. Itsjust that we have some sort of sub cover inside the mag, one for each piece of literature, and we often want full page images. So I got the habitof bleeding.the.edges after the typography asked for it.

GarryP

Thanks for pointing that out utnik. I've added a note to my post above.