Foxit Reader/Adobe Reader and update version of Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

wes@sjhs

I am having an issue with the new update, which is reverse of the issue I was having with the older version.  When I export to pdf and open with Foxit Reader, my text is only half visible (for all PDF annotation options).  I am using 12pt New Times Roman Regular and in the Adobe it pull us fine.  I have had my entire office switch to Foxit because you can save pdfs and because of the mis-alignment problems with Adobe.  I have my settings on PDF 1.5 (acrobat 6).

Is there some setting I may need to change or some bug being fixed?  I have only been using Scribus for about 6 months and still am in a learning curve.  Suggestions?

Nermander

If it works in Adobe Reader but not in Foxit, it's a bug in Foxit.

If it doesn't work in Adobe Reader, file a bug report with sample files attached.

wes@sjhs

It works fine in 1.3.3.14.  Did I read that that is no longer being supported? what does that mean exactly?

a.l.e

it means that if you encounte a bug in 1.3.3.14 it will be fixed in 1.4.0 and not in 1.3.3.15...

there won't be any 1.3.3.15 (or if you want it to see it that way: 1.3.3.15 will be called 1.4.0)

ciao
a.l.e

wes@sjhs

I have submitted a bug report to Foxit, to see if this is a bug on their end.  If they come back and say that the bug is not theirs, what are my options?  Will this issue be addressed in 1.5 Scribus?  The other reply said that if it works in Adobe, then there's no reason to report it as a bug.  So I guess I will continue to work in 1.3.14 until Foxit fixes it or Scribus 1.5 fixes it.  I really like Scribus, I think it is a great software.  Thanks for making it available.

a.l.e

from your descriptions, i have the feeling that your workflow is based on some bugs to get the result you're looking for...

could you please submit a sample .sla and pdf (with screenshot in acroread and foxit) to show what you are doing?
(please keep the .sla as simple as possible)

but, basically, the reference for displaying PDFs is indeed acroread, so, if it works correctly there, it is unlikely that the bug is on the scribus side.

ah, could you also please post the link to your bug report in the foxit tracker?

wes@sjhs

Okay, I have attached the documents you requested.  And I can't seem to enter my Report ID in the tracker but here is what they emailed me this morning:

[FOXIT#4879] Scribus Export PDF Text Fields are Misaligned.
Hello Wes Mullins,

Thanks for report. The issue has been forwarded to our QA team for processing.
Reported ID:31001.We will get back to you for any updates about it.

Thanks and best regards!

Lisa
Integrated Sales and Service Team
Foxit Corporation
www.foxitsoftware.com

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

well, we need to know what the problem is...

what does your pdf look like in acrobat, in foxit?

we need the screenshots of what you see and the pdf you generate from scribus...

ciao
a.l.e

wes@sjhs

sorry, I thought I attached two attachments instead of one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

Being able to set the font for PDF form fields is (if I understand things right) a fairly new feature, not all PDF readers support it. So the error is most likely in Foxit.

wes@sjhs

I just noticed that the text is aligned the opposite way in Adobe.  If you look at the screen shot I uploaded, then you can see that it allows only the bottom half of the letter.  So Foxit allows the top half and Adobe allows the bottom half...can we meet in the middle? Sorry, it's monday morning, a little humor might help.

apastuszak

Have you tried exporting to a different PDF version?  I export everything as PDF 1.5 with embedded fonts and have never had a problem with Foxit or Adobe Reader opening my files.