Roboto font missing

Previous topic - Next topic

typo

I have difficulties getting the Roboto fonts from Google fonts [1][2] to appear in Scribus under Debian.

I copied the .ttf files into the default directories, set the owner and permissions accordingly, updated the font cache with fc-cache, and they appear in my font manager as well as LibreOffice. So they are properly installed.

But they don't appear in Scribus. Using Additional Paths under Preferences doesn't work, even after restarting Scribus and the operating system. I did a test with a different font, Alte DIN 1451 Mittelschrift [3], and it does appear in Scribus. So, it must be something specific about the Roboto fonts.

Any ideas? I am using the default version of Scribus (Version 1.4.1.svn, Ghostscript version 9.05) under Debian 7.0 (Wheezy).

[1] https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto
[2] https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto+Mono
[3] http://www.1001fonts.com/alte-din-1451-mittelschrift-font.html

utnik

hi typo

i've just downloaded the 'roboto' font family and run a test with scribus 1,4,6 and 1.5.3 under macOS 10.11.6 – no problems detected...
i don't know if your problem is related to your old scribus version. the current stable one is 1.4.6.

utnik

a.l.e

In the recent past, Debian testing and Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 were distributing a version of the Freetype library (2.6.3) that was affected by a bug that prevented Scribus from loading outlines of some glyphs with the DejaVu font (and  maybe Roboto).

Freetype 2.6.5 contains a fix for this issue. The fix might already be in the 2.6.4 version.

Debian testing now has 2.8.0, which does not contain bug affecting the way DejaVu is seen by Scribus.

But your version of Debian/Ubuntu might still have one of the affected versions.

Since utnik seems to be able to use the very same file, I would suggest you to check which version of Freetype you have installed and -- if it's one of the affected ones -- if you can upgrade it.

typo

Quote from: a.l.e on November 02, 2017, 08:29:55 AMDebian testing and Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 were distributing a version of the Freetype library (2.6.3) that was affected by a bug that prevented Scribus from loading outlines of some glyphs with the DejaVu font (and  maybe Roboto). Freetype 2.6.5 contains a fix for this issue. [...] Debian testing now has 2.8.0, which does not contain bug affecting the way DejaVu is seen by Scribus.

I updated the Freetype library (package libfreetype6) on Debian wheezy from its stable version 2.4.9-1.1 to testing version 2.8.1-0.1. Scribus 1.4.1 can still not detect the installed Roboto fonts.

Since utnik was able to read the Roboto fonts with Scribus version 1.4.6, the cause must be Scribus 1.4.1 then. I will update to the newest available Scribus version.

utnik

Quote from: typo on November 02, 2017, 07:20:51 PMSince utnik was able to read the Roboto fonts with Scribus version 1.4.6, the cause must be Scribus 1.4.1 then.

...could still be debian or freetype library related...

utnik

a.l.e

Scribus will not automatically recognize again the missing fonts, you first have to manually force Scribus to re-create the font cache by

- quitting Scribus,
- removing (or, better renaming) the ~/.config/scribus/checkfonts150.xml file
- starting scribus

ciao
a.l.e

typo

Quote from: a.l.e on November 03, 2017, 10:10:44 AM
- quitting Scribus,
- removing (or, better renaming) the ~/.config/scribus/checkfonts150.xml file
- starting scribus

I followed these steps (on Debian, the XML file is ~/.config/.scribus/checkfonts.xml) and now Scribus 1.4.1 with libfreetype6 version 2.8.1-0.1 recognizes the Roboto fonts. Thank you for your help.