Embedded fonts missing on PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannybo

Hi,

I'm using Scribus from many years and this is the first time i'm experiencing this thing...

I've a pubblication .... when i want to export a pdf all the fonts i'm using are inside the "embed all" field but when i open the result on .pdf (acrobat reader or pro), only some of them appear on the fonts/properties.

But...

the strange thing is that the very same fonts appear correctly inside all my previous works... so if i open one of my latest .pdf (past works)
I can see these very same fonts correctly on the pdf properties and disappeared inside my last work...

I don't understand why i can't show them now inside pdf these font i'm using...  "Impact", "verdana" and "Arial".

Also if i open a new document, just to test these three fonts on it ... things doesn't work, pdf font/properties remains empty.

All the fonts are on the system and always worked fine 'til now.

I'm using Scribus: 1.4.4 on Windows 10 ( previously on XP and W8 ) and never had a problem like this.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Danny

Nermander

It may be that Scribus honors the data in the font stating whether it may be embedded or not. Never versions of a font may have different licensing.

But I'm not sure if Scribus even allows selecting the font for embedding if the font does not allow it.

Dannybo

Hi Nermander, i know these kind of things ... BUT
my previous works were OK. The same font were there on .pdf properties and never upgraded/touched the fonts on my system. Inside Scribus ALL the fonts i'm using are inside the "embed box" exporting.

Danny

Dannybo

at the moment...

I've downloaded again an "impact" font... reinstalled.... and now the pdf properties worked for this font.

Unfortunately not for "verdana" and "arial" anymore.... so I'm changing these font inside my pubblication...  :'(

The only thing i saw (watching at the fonts details) is that an update of some files was around Sept.29, probably the days when W10 upgraded his system with the "creators fall updates" .... it's the only thing i'm assuming... a couple of updated fonts by the system, that, since then, no loger will be able to be embedded.... don't know...

Anyone experienced this situation?

Danny

utnik

hi danny

Quote from: Dannybo on November 12, 2017, 03:33:13 PM...a couple of updated fonts by the system, that, since then, no loger will be able to be embedded...

yes, this is a known problem with a lot of microsoft standard fonts. the font's licenses allow embedding in print files, but an internal flag is set that doesn't allow embedding (at least with software wich cares about such flags...)

you could either change the embedding allowance with a tool like fontforge, use an older version of the same font or move to another font family.

utnik

Nermander

Quote from: Dannybo on November 12, 2017, 03:33:13 PM
a couple of updated fonts by the system, that, since then, no loger will be able to be embedded.... don't know...

Yes, that's what I meant by "Never versions of a font may have different licensing." But of course I meant "newer" and not "never"! Sorry, didn't notice the spelling error until now.

That you have Arial embedded in older PDFs does not mean that it is the same version of Arial that is embedded.

That is one reason why I always use a separate font directory for Scribus: I don't want the system to update to never versions of the fonts without me knowing it.

Dannybo

Quote from: utnik on November 12, 2017, 03:48:25 PM
hi danny

Quote from: Dannybo on November 12, 2017, 03:33:13 PM...a couple of updated fonts by the system, that, since then, no loger will be able to be embedded...

yes, this is a known problem with a lot of microsoft standard fonts. the font's licenses allow embedding in print files, but an internal flag is set that doesn't allow embedding (at least with software wich cares about such flags...)

you could either change the embedding allowance with a tool like fontforge, use an older version of the same font or move to another font family.

utnik

Hi, this is the only thing I tought... i have no other explanation. Just removed these fonts inside the pubblication. Thank you. I'll take a look to fontforge.

Dannybo

Quote from: Nermander on November 12, 2017, 09:47:43 PM
Quote from: Dannybo on November 12, 2017, 03:33:13 PM
a couple of updated fonts by the system, that, since then, no loger will be able to be embedded.... don't know...

Yes, that's what I meant by "Never versions of a font may have different licensing." But of course I meant "newer" and not "never"! Sorry, didn't notice the spelling error until now.

That you have Arial embedded in older PDFs does not mean that it is the same version of Arial that is embedded.

That is one reason why I always use a separate font directory for Scribus: I don't want the system to update to never versions of the fonts without me knowing it.

Understood what you were saying... don't worry.... the Arial embedded in older pdf is probably the OLD arial font before system upgrade. Agree with you about using separate directory. Some of my font were on a separate directory for scribus as alternative path... but probably not all of them so the windows system changed some of their properties to the rest.