Cropping/Editing Images

Previous topic - Next topic

24Peter

Brand new to Scribus. I am creating a photo book. I want the ability to essentially crop an image to the selected dimensions of the Image Frame. It looks like Adjust Image to Frame and Adjust Frame to Image don't do anything in this regard. Do I have to export to Photoshop (my image editor) and physically crop the image to the dimensions of the Image Frame? No easier way? I essentially want to fill an image frame by expanding the image and dragging it around inside the frame to fill it. Right now when I move an edge of the frame, the edge of the photo moves with it. Is there is no way to crop/resize the image independently of sizing the frame?

GarryP

Welcome to the forum 24Peter.

The "Adjust Image to Frame" function will resize the image so that the entire image will fill the frame to the frame's smallest dimension. Think of it as a "There's the frame, make the whole image fit in it" function.
The "Adjust Frame to Image" function will resize the frame so that it expands or contracts to be the same visible size as the entire image given the current scale of the image. Think of it as a "Make the frame as big as the image" function.
It might take a while to get used to this but it's worth experimenting.

Cropping an image really depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve as what you need to do is dependant on what you want to do with the image.

You can change the scale of the image by changing the scale parameters within the Image tab of the Properties Palette. You can change the size of the frame by simply resizing it with the handles when the frame is selected. You can move the image around inside the frame by double-clicking the frame and dragging the image. A combination of these techniques should get you what you want.

24Peter

Thank you GarryP. I have just been cropping the image in Photoshop to the necessary dimensions.

GarryP

You're welcome.
Once you get used to the functions in Scribus you shouldn't need to do any external cropping unless you are displaying a small part of a large image. Scribus doesn't automatically crop the image in the PDF so the whole image will be contained in the PDF. This can make some PDFs a bit large.