placing images inside table cells

Previous topic - Next topic

enzogian

Hi,
I wonder how do I manage to insert (import) images inside the cells of a table ?
PS: I am new to this forum so not sure on all the protocols to follow when asking or reporting an issue..  (I am using the 1.5.4 version running on Windows 10)
Thanks and regards

RodneyLee

if the cells are not changing just draw an image box over it and place image then group, Least this is the simple way I'd do it

enzogian

Hi Rodney, thanks for your reply but the case is not the one you mention.. many times designers might need to assemble quite complex tables that could keep changing in size as the corrections and editing process goes on.. adjusting many different elements in the cells would certainly change the table sizes .. they need to be "dynamic" so to speak like when writing the text inside the cells.. I wish it could be possible having a command just to insert images inside the cell.

Thanks for your help ;)

enzogian

Quote from: RodneyLee on May 16, 2018, 03:04:14 PM
if the cells are not changing just draw an image box over it and place image then group, Least this is the simple way I'd do it

Hi Rodney I am very new on this platform so not sure if my reply managed to send you a notification.. in any case the reply is written in the topic messages..
Thanks (I still need to get familiar whit the forum platform not to mention the bug reports one..  I don't see either how to assign the category of the post etc.. lets see..

a.l.e

hi enzo

tables are not a reliable tool in scribus.

and if you really need images inside of a table, i somehow wonder if you really need a table...
(but i can guess what kind of layout you might want to achieve...)

anyway, in scribus you can copy paste image frames inside of text frames... then, they're treated like characters.

but, again, i'm not sure what you want to achieve is best done with scribus...

ciao
a.l.e

enzogian

Quote from: a.l.e on May 16, 2018, 03:22:45 PM
hi enzo

tables are not a reliable tool in scribus.

and if you really need images inside of a table, i somehow wonder if you really need a table...
(but i can guess what kind of layout you might want to achieve...)

anyway, in scribus you can copy paste image frames inside of text frames... then, they're treated like characters.

but, again, i'm not sure what you want to achieve is best done with scribus...

ciao
a.l.e

Hi Ale,
I perfectly understand your suggestion, in fact I have been thinking on LibreOffice BUT could not find neither the way to import the table to Scribus, unless I do as a pdf or image, but then the whole process for editing after corrections etc would become a nightmare (since readers (clients) would not be able to select text to add notes when needing to do corrections etc..  :(
I appreciate your suggestion on using text frames (I would certainly try it but, from my experience, I could foresee being not such a practical solution for large amount of fields and intensive amendments & correction cycles, as when editing content, the simulated "table" would not adjust automatically as cells do in real tables. Hope it makes sense.
PS: note I am talking here about tables with images, as I can see Scribus manages quite well tables with only text, but is not what I am needing now.

I would find my way around no doubts, I guess I would end up sending the table as a LibreOffice file (or .doc extension for my client) in order to make the corrections on it and when having it back I would import it as PDF into Scribus (yes, the table format is the ideal one as the layout needs to be kind of squary /"boring", and tables can manage that sort of things in a practical and fast way for big amount of content... you know: list of students with their face pics and description of their work, awards, grade, section, subject, etc etc.. ) If I was needing to achieve something more exquisite in terms of design I would certainly not use tables at all !

Still, I would have a try using text frames ;)
Thanks for your reply !

a.l.e

sorry i was not 100% clear: table cells are some sort of text frames, so you can post images inside of a cell...

and concerning your current project: if you don't want anything fancy, just do it with libreoffice : - )

or avoid (most) lines and do it with text and image frames groups that you place on the page.
(you  can probably do a good layout with one image frame and one text frame with a few tabulators...)

enzogian

Quote from: a.l.e on May 16, 2018, 04:49:36 PM
sorry i was not 100% clear: table cells are some sort of text frames, so you can post images inside of a cell...

and concerning your current project: if you don't want anything fancy, just do it with libreoffice : - )

or avoid (most) lines and do it with text and image frames groups that you place on the page.
(you  can probably do a good layout with one image frame and one text frame with a few tabulators...)

Thanks Ale, well the only section that is not fancy at all is the table one I am making reference too hehe, but the rest of the glossy has a design that needs to be done with DTP software... don't worry I would certainly find my way around after testing the whole potential of text frames in Scribus etc etc.. or even importing the table from LibreOffice as I mentioned before. (Have to confess I am trying to migrate as won't be able to pay the new Adobe subscription plans (I have been working with InDesign till now, but got tired.. and I am getting more and more confident and excited with many open source software that do the job .. now the big jump for me is related to this assembling of the publication I used to do whit InDesign, but have managed so far to create all my templates in Scribus and I quite like what I see.. I keep discovering interesting features etc.. lets' see..
Really thanks a lot for your support . I hope being able to share the result as a "success story" when I manage to do my first publication with Scribus.
Cheers and thanks,
Enzo