a few details questions...

Previous topic - Next topic

mhackney

I have spent the last day really digging into the help, user guide, tutorials, wiki and forum in prep to layout my 180 page book on 3D printing strategies. I'm using Scrivener to write the text with minimal markup. I am an author and publisher (www.reellinespress.com) but have used simplistic tools (Pages on Mac) in the past. I want to up my game on this book and use the 6+ months of studying book layout and design with this book. So far, Scribus has made perfect sense and I was able to do all of the basics pretty quickly. I now have a few detail types of things I need to figure out and some of these may be answered with "best practices". So, here's the short list:

1) lists - 1.5 has support for bullets and numbered lists but it seems to not support levels (elegantly if at all). My needs are relatively simple: 2 level numbered lists and 2 level bullets. What is the best practice for doing these in 1.5? I'd like the second level to be slightly indented from the first level. Should I just create 4 styles -  a set of two styles for bullet lists and two for numbered lists?

2) I need to add a little space above my footnotes. I've read the wiki about "welding" and understand it. I can add the space but do I need to do this manually for every footnote frame? Or is there a way I can add space so all footnotes get it?

3) another footnote question-I'd like a short line above the footnote and main page (in the extra space I want to add in 2!). Is there a recommended way to do this?

Other than that, things are going nicely as far as features go. I do have two minor usability issues.

a) the Scribus window is hyper sensitive to mouse scrolling. I have the apple magic mouse and any little touch moves the window contents. I can't slow down mouse tracking in system preferences since that negatively affects all my apps.

b) Scribus 1.4 Preferences window was very well behaved and nice to use. 1.5 apparently uses a new version of the UI toolkit and is horrible on a mac. The sub panels are constrained to the parent's panel and require scrolling up and down to  get to everything. I'm going to install on my win 10 virtual machine and see if it's more tolerable there.

CGood

Any luck in Win 10? Wish I could help directly but I'm on Linux.

a.l.e

1/ wrong
2/ footnotes are not production ready. avoid them if you're not a überhacker. (or make sure that you can restart your project if everything fails)
3/ i recommend you not to put a line there

a/ please, wait for 1.5.3 (if you're not using the daily builds) being released and if the problem is still there, then fill a ticket
b/ as far i can tell, the preference panels now use standard layouts. very little tweaking is done. you're welcome to suggest at different approach.