Upgrade from 1.4.5 to 1.5.2

Previous topic - Next topic

vasilkadifeli

Hi all,

I am using
- Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 operating system
- and Scribus 1.4.5 which I downloaded for the first time ~15 months ago

I have been using Scribus without any problems since than. That release was really very stable for me. So I didn't care much about downloading the new releases which for me they were improvements rather than new features. Now I see that we are already at release 1.5.2.

1) Do I have to download this release before I get very out of day ?
2) Will the new release also open the older .sla files ? is there a way to upgare old files ?
3) I understand that I can have two releases at the same time in my computer. Am I correct?
4) What is the general process to follow for upgrades?

If there is already a page for such question you can also redirect me there.
Thanks in advance.

GarryP

Hello vasilkadifeli.

Unless you really need the extra features in 1.5.2 I would recommend that you stick with the latest stable 1.4.6. (You can install 1.4.6 over your existing 1.4.5 without any worry, see below.) The 1.5.x versions are still in development and may have weird bugs in them. Having said that, many people are using 1.5.2 without major problems. It's all a question of your personal risk aversion strategy. Think of the 1.5.x versions as versions for testing before the next "real" version, which will be 1.6.

1.5.x versions (and 1.6 when it comes) will all open 1.4.x SLAs and will automatically save them under the new format but once an SLA has been saved by 1.5.x (or 1.6) you will not be able to open it in 1.4.x anymore.

You can have multiple versions of the same application installed on your machine. On Windows you can usually install one in the "Program Files" folder and another in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. I don't think Windows cares which is which anymore. If you have two versions installed you can use 1.4.6 until you can't go any further and want to use 1.5.x and continue on a copy of the file so you have the original to go back to if you encounter any problems.

The general procedure for upgrading depends on which OS you're using but for Windows you can just go through the normal installation procedure to upgrade. Just download the setup EXE and double-click it to install a new version straight over the old one.

I hope this has given you enough information to tell you what you wanted to know.

vasilkadifeli

Many thanks Garry,
your answer has answered my questions.
I am especially interested in the epub export functionality which I don't think to come before 1.6
so the current release seems to be enough for me at the moment.
Thanks again.

GarryP

You're welcome. (I would recommend upgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6 as it contains some bug fixes.)