Layout "templates"?

Previous topic - Next topic

ksjazzguitar

Sorry, I'm new to Scribus, and desktop publishing in general.

I helping my wife write a text book for children and many pages need the same layouts - text boxes and pics in the same place, text formatting, etc. to be filled in on each page. Each page is it's own entity (not flowing from page to page) and there will be about a dozen different standard layouts.

I assumed that this was a master page thing, but clearly that didn't work and as I've read around this forum it looks like scrapbook does that.

I can't find much documentation of the scrapbook. (Can someone link me to some?) I've played with it and can save text boxes and image boxes to scrapbook, but I still have to position them each time I insert them. The best I can come up with is selecting each box and manually positioning them in each page.

Is this really the best Scribus can do? I'm new to DTP, but this seems like it would be a pretty basic function, standardized layouts. Do I really have to do this manually for each and every page?

I put corresponding boxes in the master pages to give me an easy way to line them up, but is it possible to have the boxes grouped together so I can drop them all in place at once? Is it possible to embed the in some kind of a container box? Is there another way that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Kevin

Nermander

Double click on the items in the scrapbook, then they get inserted to the same position as when they were saved.

utnik

hi kevin

Quote from: ksjazzguitar on February 19, 2017, 06:45:03 AMis it possible to have the boxes grouped together so I can drop them all in place at once?

if you send a selection of items (text frames, image frames, vector artwork etc.) to the scrapbook, you can double click on this scrapbook entry and everything is positioned like on the original page – you don't even need to group the items first.

utnik

ksjazzguitar

OK, thanks guys. That still isn't as easy as I would want, but it certainly has gone from crazy to within the realm of reasonable.

One last thing - this there a way to apply the scrapbook layout to a range of pages or must I do it one page at a time?

Thanks again, this is a big help,
Kevin

utnik

hi kevin

Quote from: ksjazzguitar on February 20, 2017, 12:19:53 AM...is there a way to apply the scrapbook layout to a range of pages or must I do it one page at a time?

not with the srapbook, but if the layout is the same on every page, you could put a number of copies of a selected page into your document. ('page' → 'copy')

utnik