Grid not behaving as expected

Previous topic - Next topic

core

I have started my first project on Scribus. So far so good except the normal tedious learning of work flows and shortcuts.

My question is around the grids.
I have activated them but I cannot seem to change their spacing at all.
I am in the preferences>guides dialogue. I try tweeking the major and minor grid spacing values, and applying the changes but nothing happens on my page!
I also changing the colour of the grid lines seems to have no effect.

A simple search around on how to use grids seems to all point to this location for changing the grids.

Can someone see what I am doing wrong here?

a.l.e

normally, you should not use the grid in scribus.

grids are more useful for vector drawing...

and after having said all that, if you want to see them, you should make them visible in the "view" menu....

utnik

hi core

as for many other settings there are two different places to define this grid:

• 'preferences' → 'guides' → 'grid' for the standard settings for all new documents (won't affect existing files!)
  • 'file' → 'document setup' → 'guides' → 'grid' to change the settings of an open file.
utnik

core

Ok found this now.
Makes sense in a bizarre way.
So doc setup (File>Document setup) is for the current doc, and (File>preferences) for future docs.
Even though these dialogues look pretty similar if not the exact same.

Would be good if in someones youtube tutorial this is made clear to noobs like me.

Thanks

A

ScribZA

Quote from: a.l.e on December 23, 2016, 10:45:06 AM
normally, you should not use the grid in scribus.

grids are more useful for vector drawing...

and after having said all that, if you want to see them, you should make them visible in the "view" menu....

This is a poor attempt to answer a valid question. Utnik answered well.
Grids are routinely used in Graphic Design Layouts, the Raison d'être for Scribus

a.l.e

hi @ScribZA

this is bit of an unusual first post : - )

of course, grids are commonly used in layout, but you normally don't use the grid for it.

scribus provides better and more flexible tools : typographic grids (column and rows guides), guides, snapping to items.
personally, i've never seen a well layouted document that had the grid turned on.

i really don't agree that they're the raison d'être for scribus. i would even dare to say that the way scribus implements the grid, makes it hard to use in the few cases where you really could profit from it.
as it is now, the grid could be removed at any time without affecting the users.

of course, you're welcome to show me documents that makes a good usage of the grid and i will try to change my mind on this topic...

core

I had totally forgotten about this thread until these most recent of posts.
I am a long time Inkscape user and picked up Scribus because I wanted to make a PDF booklet.
I achieved my goals and put Scribus back down.

Ironically I picked it back up again because the need for a booklet once again arose.
But I can understand the comments about the grids.
There seems to be 2 issues here:

Mine in which I found that the grids, the way they were implemented, are pretty limited in their use.
Grids are not the ideal tool for achieving alignment in Scribus (?, not a power user at all so hard to comment at this point)

I suggest to the dev team to quietly remove this function. It will save a lot of time for the newbies like me screwing around trying to get a similar behaviour as grids in Inkscape.

my 2c worth

Thanks everyone for pitching into this. I learnt something today