Magazine Cover Experiment - Intriguing Magazine

Previous topic - Next topic

GarryP

After being inspired by listening to some old "Atomic Tales" radio shows I came up with this. It looks simple but there's a lot of work that's gone on behind the scenes with node editing and photo retouching.

You can find the original version of the main image here http://img.7te.org/images/1920x1080/forbidden-planet-1956-via-wwwwrongsideoftheartcomif-you-like-this-5870381.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

steven8

I am sucker for vintage science fiction, so this cover really hits the spot.  I found a copy of the very first VHS release of Forbidden Planet last weekend, and it looked to be in great shape, until I tried to play it.  It locked up and couldn't be fixed.  Very sad, but I'll keep looking.  I'll buy it on DVD, but it's always fun to find the early VHS copies.
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

GarryP

I'm glad you like it steven8. It didn't turn out how I imagined it in the first place but I'm pretty happy with it.

I've got some ideas about doing some old movie posters in the future. There are plenty to choose from - "Destroy All Monsters" and "Dark Star" spring to mind - but it's finding the right starting images that takes time.

steven8

How about: When Worlds Collide, Destination Moon, This Island Earth or Rocketship X-M.
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

GarryP

Nice film suggestions. I've probably seen most of them - many years ago - but don't ask me to quote any lines from them.

"When Worlds Collide" might be difficult. The original poster will be impossible for someone with my limited artistic ability to recreate from scratch but the DVD cover might be possible if I could find the right starting images.

The "Destination Moon" poster would be a nightmare for me but the comic book cover might be possible, again, with the right images.

As with the others, "This Island Earth" would need an illustrator to recreate properly.

"Rocketship X-M" has possibilities. One of the images related to it on IMDb - the vectors-only one - would take a while to create but it's certainly possible.

The problem with this sort of thing is they have to bit of a "labour of love" because of the time to create something that will essentially just be thrown away at the end.

I'm still open to suggestions - while also not saying that I will actually do anything - but they need to be something that doesn't need an illustrator's skills to make. Things that can be made with vectors and manipulated images are easiest.