Can't delete page numbers from the Normal Master Page

Previous topic - Next topic

Mylor

Hi,
I set up page numbering on a 16 page 'single page' document by setting numbering on the Normal Master Page. Later I needed to convert the document to a double page one and added another 4 pages. I now need to delete the numbering from the Normal Master Page and set up Left and Right numbering. Problem is I can't select and delete the numbering on the Normal page, nor can I draw a text box for numbering on the Left and Right pages.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Mylor.

If you can't select an object on the page then it's most likely that you're not on the same layer as the object. Make sure that you are on the right layer.

If you're on the same layer and still can't select an object then you could have set the layer to "locked". Go to "Windows -> Layers" and make sure that the check box under the "lock" icon is not checked. (This might also explain why you can't draw anything new.)

If neither of these things fixes the problem then you might need to attach the document so we can have a better look. (It usually makes things much easier than a long back-and-forth of try this, then try this, etc.)

Mylor

Thanks Garry,
As I was working against the clock I tried opening the document in the Windows version (I use Ubuntu Linux usually) and managed to work around it.

That said, I'm now working on a single page document using Scribus v1.4.2 in Ubuntu and again can't draw text or graphics boxes on any layer. All layers are unlocked. Could you take a look at the attached please?

Cheers

P.S.  I've just opened it in Scribus 1.4.6 in Windows and I can draw text and graphics boxes so it may be an issue with 1.4.2.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

which frames can't you draw? :-)

view > show frames ...

!
a.l.e

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mylor

Neither text nor graphics frames. When I release the mouse button the square just disappears. I found that if I open the same document in Windows 7 all works ok.

a.l.e

eh eh... the message got stuck on the wires...

as you can see in the screenshot i attached, all your frames have been drawn!

you have to turn on the "view > show frames" menu item to see them... when they're empty...

p.s.: i don't understand why lately we saw a few people popping up with unusual view options disabled...
do you have an idea how it happened that that option is disabled in your document?

GarryP

In Scribus 1.4.6 on Windows 10, loading the document shows a blank page. However, selecting "View -> Show Frames" (as suggested by a.l.e) reveals the frames as expected (and shown in the screenshot). Looks like it's just a settings thing.

GarryP

Oh, hang on a minute, I've just had another quick look at this and noticed that there are some frames that I can't select: The two overlapping ones on the "second row" down are examples. No matter which layer I'm on I can't do anything with them. This is weird. Can't look at it right now but I'll come back to it later (unless someone else comes up with the answer).

Also, back to the original problem: Does this happen with just text frames and image frames or is it with things like tables and polygons etc. too?

utnik

Quote from: GarryP on August 20, 2016, 02:03:31 PM...there are some frames that I can't select: The two overlapping ones on the "second row"...

these two are on the master page (which doesn't make sense for empty frames in scribus...)

utnik

GarryP

Ah, thanks utnik. That makes sense. I was in a rush to be elsewhere so I didn't think about looking there. Their placement on the page didn't scream "master page" to me so I missed it completely in my haste. Glad that's not another problem that needs to be looked at.