font problem

Previous topic - Next topic

durkes

When I print out hard copy of my document the "N" comes out as a box. Seems like the only words affected start with an "n". Using new times roman font

Christen_Anderson

Are you printing directly from Scribus? If so, try exporting to .pdf (embed all fonts in the process), then print from your .pdf viewer.
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

durkes

Chrisen
I am printing from Adobe. How does on "embed" fonts? what does that mean?

Jeff

Christen_Anderson

When you bring up the "Export to PDF" dialog in Scribus, there should be a tab labeled "fonts." Under this tab, there is an option to embed or outline all fonts.  :)

durkes

Christen- Thanks. What does it mean to "embed" or "outline" fonts?

Christen_Anderson

Basically, Jeff, embedding/outlining/subsetting a font actually includes the font in the pdf. This is partly so that someone viewing your pdf on another computer can properly view the file without having the fonts used in the pdf installed on their computer. http://desktoppub.about.com/od/pdf/f/subsetfonts.htm
That's a very basic definition of font embedding...if you want more detailed information, i suggest you ask around on the Scribus mailing list scribus@lists.scribus.net. There are several people frequenting that list who are far more qualified to answer this question than I am. :)

utnik

• 'embedding' means: the whole fontset is included in the pdf file.
  • 'subsetting' means, only the used characters are included (if someone tries to edit something, there may be a problem with missing characters...)
  • 'outlining' means: the characters are transformed into path objects (after that, the thext is a normal vector drawing).

Meho R.

Quote from: utnik on September 15, 2011, 08:14:34 PM

• 'outlining' means: the characters are transformed into path objects (after that, the thext is a normal vector drawing).
Theoretically, yes, but in Scribus 1.4.x and newer outlining actually doesn't convert fonts to path objects, meaning that text remains selectable, searchable... So, outlining here means subsetting.

utnik

hello menho

Quote from: Meho R. on September 19, 2011, 02:25:34 PMin Scribus 1.4.x and newer outlining actually doesn't convert fonts to path objects, meaning that text remains selectable, searchable... So, outlining here means subsetting.

i didn't know that, thanks for the information – but it's a little bit more complicated. i have just checked it with a simple .sla-file in 1.4.0rc5. when i open the pdf in acrobat, acrobat reader or macOS preview, it shows normal text, in illustrator the whole text consists of a collection of vector objects. it looks as if it does something more than just embed a font subset...

utnik

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: utnik on September 19, 2011, 03:08:29 PMi didn't know that, thanks for the information – but it's a little bit more complicated. i have just checked it with a simple .sla-file in 1.4.0rc5. when i open the pdf in acrobat, acrobat reader or macOS preview, it shows normal text, in illustrator the whole text consists of a collection of vector objects. it looks as if it does something more than just embed a font subset.

It is Illustrator that is converting text to paths, not something in the PDF file. That is by design. Adobe doesn't want Illustrator to be able to edit PDF files, else people would have less interest in buying full Acrobat.
Linguistics on Linux!

utnik

Quote from: John_Jason_Jordan on September 19, 2011, 05:03:00 PMIt is Illustrator that is converting text to paths, not something in the PDF file...

yes, illustrator does something that prevents text from editing. usually text with embedded fonts (or a subset of them) display as characters, without connection between them (each character is its own text block). but the characters are still there – e.g. you can change the font, and the character will display in the chosen new font.
when you outline the fonts in scribus, this is no longer working – so, scribus does something else by outlining, than by subsetting the font...

utnik